Thursday, April 9, 2009

BBQ Chicken Salad

This probably wouldn't get me very far on Chopped (a show that the little dudes and I love to watch together!), but salads are a staple in my house. Healthy, fast, and versatile.

This falls in my easy dinner catagory. A dinner for nights when I'm helping with homework, being a star wars (or, star bors, as it's known in our house)villain, nursing a baby, and keeping said baby from pulling the lamp off the shelf. So, pretty much, a dinner for every single night.

I used Shirley J BBQ seasoning mix. Mix the dry mix with water and vinegar for an instant BBQ sauce. It is great for marinades, rubs, dipping, you name it. This little tub packs a punch of great flavor (and smell!).

I cooked the chicken, with the BBQ seasoning, in my crock pot on low for 4 hours. That was the most time consuming part of this dish!

For the salad:
-chopped iceburg lettuce (any kind will do, this is what I had in my fridge)
-1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
-frozen corn, thawed (fresh is awesome in the summer!)
-jicama (my BFF)
-carrots
-boiled egg (Every.single.meal. will include boiled eggs until the 10 million we colored the other night are gone!)
-shredded mozzarella cheese

I wish I would have had tomato and avocado. Unfortunately, the tomatoes at the store were horrible! Zoe (the baby who is always nursing!) likes avocados too, so they don't last long around my house!

I mixed the salad together tossed with a little salad dressing and topped with a sliced BBQ breast, drizzled a little more of the BBQ sauce on top and finished it off with some tortilla strips! (I cut up some corn tortillas, and broiled them in the oven until they were crispy, and threw some kosher salt on to finish them off.)

The leftover BBQ chicken will be put to work again tomorrow night on a BBQ chicken pizza. Stay tuned, because I've got some killer foccacia bread to accompany it.

Things I used today:
Shirley J BBQ seasoning
jicama - That big scary thing you've seen at the grocery store. Buy it, eat it, love it. You can thank me later.
crock pot - Duh.

3 comments:

  1. this looks so good! i'm a huge fan of CPK's BBQ Chicken Chopped so I know I'd love this. I love jicama too, but i hate cutting it up! I'm going to try this soon!

    btw: what ranch do you like? do you make your own, do a mix or buy pre-made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a HUGE CPK BBQ salad lover! The jicama is so good in almost any salad, it adds that refreshing crunch, I love it in this salad especially!

    As for the dressing---it's a mixed bagged. Sometimes it's bought, sometimes it's homemade. I don't love the mixes, because they are SO salty! For store bought, I'm a HUGE fan of BYU creamery Light Ranch. Super yummy and way less calories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey--thanks for letting me know you had a cooking blog! (did the sarcasm come out right?)

    oh, and thanks for inviting me to your family blog too--I feel so loved.

    Seriously though, send me an invite if you want to: alisturn@gmail.com

    And, I totally started a cooking blog and I *almost* called it Ali can cook, but I ended up naming it See Ali Cook. Weird.

    ReplyDelete