Saturday, April 18, 2009

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup



I realize that I've now totally overused the word "creamy"...creamy tomato soup and now this! I just can't think of any other appropriate adjective. Until then, forgive my redundancy!


I tend to think of soups and stews as winter dishes, but I think this dish can ride the fine line and be served anytime. It's very comforting, and it is way better than your average chicken noodle soup. Besides, it snowed here for the past 3 days (what a great spring break my kids had), so I had an excuse to make it!


This recipe is based on one that I got from my older sister. I tweaked it a bit, and made it work for us a little better. Here is the end result!


Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup


  • Chicken breasts (I only used 3), or a whole chicken
  • water
  • celery leaves
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt
  • 2 c. diced carrots
  • 1 c. diced celery
  • 2 T. fresh parsley (or use dried parsley)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • pepper
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 c. Shirley J cream sauce
  • 2 tsp. Shirley J chicken bouillon
  • Noodles (You can make your own, or buy the "homemade" kind at the grocery store. Found near the pasta, usually in a bag.)


  1. Place your chicken breasts (or whole chicken) in a large stockpot. You can use more if you'd like, but this is a great way to "stretch" chicken. Since it will be shredded and mixed in, I don't think you need a ton. Chop up the celery leaves from one whole head of celery. (Usually towards the center of the celery, near the inside.) Add bay leaf, parsley, Italian seasoning, chicken bouillon, salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover the top of the chicken breasts---about 1" above. Boil until chicken is done.
  2. Remove chicken and let cool. If a lot of the stock/water has evaporated, you can add canned chicken broth to bring the liquid level back up. Remove and discard bay leaf. Add carrots, onion and celery to chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook until ALMOST done.
  3. Meanwhile, take the chicken off the bones (if using a whole chicken), or shred chicken breasts.
  4. Once the noodles are almost done, add the 2 c. of Shirley J cream sauce. Slowly stir into the soup, and cook until thick. You can add more, or less, depending on your desired consistancy. Sometimes I will also add a bit of cornstarch in 1/2 cup of the cream base.
  5. Stir the chicken back into the soup. Cook for about 2 minutes more, or until heated through.

This can be made thick and served over mashed potatoes (SO good!), or made more thin, and served as a soup (as shown).

Things I used today:

Shirley J cream sauce

Shirley J concentrated chicken bouillon

1 comment:

  1. ok, I really need to start making dinner!

    That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete