Thursday, April 30, 2009

Easy Hummus

I LOVE hummus.

No, I REALLY love hummus. I could seriously eat it every single day. I eat it with veggies (my favorite way to eat it), pita chips (pita pockets that I cut, and roast in the oven), crackers, a spoon...

I don't ever buy hummus in the store. I used to, until I realized how much I love it, and how easy it is to make at home! It is so versatile, you can make different kinds of hummus so easily.

I don't always have tahini on hand. It's a bit pricey, and not something I can splurge on very often. Instead, I've found ways to make do without it.

Here is a VERY basic hummus recipe. This can be adapted several ways, you can sundried tomatoes, olives...anything you want!

Easy Hummus
  • 1-2 large cloves garlic
  • 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
  • 3 T. sour cream
  • 3 T. lemon juice - I prefer fresh, but bottle is okay if that is all you have
  • salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil (eyeball the amount you will need)
  1. Mince garlic in the food processor. Add garbanzo beas (drained), sour cream, lemon juice, salt and cumin in with the garlic. Process until almost smooth.
  2. With the machine still running, gradually pour in the olive oil. Continue adding oil until mixture is smooth. (You might not need the whole 1/4 cup!)

Serve with warm homemade pita chips, fresh veggies, crackers, on bagels, on sandwiches, with pretzels (that's how Camden likes hummus), in pita sandwiches...


*This can be covered and stored in the fridge for a few days.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the recipe, I love hummus too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I removed my comment because I read your recipe and it looked yummy, and then I asked you if you ever used tahini? Then I went back to read the rest and saw you did! No ,I am not Blonde! Anyway thanks for sharing this recipe!I am glad that you do not have to use tahini as it has more calories, and I love hummus too!

    ReplyDelete