Thursday, April 30, 2009

Kitchen Sink Turkey Burger

What a sad little picture. Little burger goobers and parmesan cheese goobers on the plate. At least I remembered to take a picture this time... While this picture was being taken, my children were being neglected. Three tiny little mouths, waiting to be fed, JUST so I could take this picture. You are welcome.


I am starting to break out the "summer" cooking. In my house, during the summer time, we eat a lot less (it's too hot!). We live off of our garden, fresh fruit, and we cook on the grill a lot.


Turkey Burgers. Hello!! A home cooks best friend. These are perfect, because they are a blank canvas and can be changed up and made to be "different" and taste different. Thai style, with a nice crunchy slaw on the top, Greek style with some yummy feta inside, spicy, curry...I could seriously make turkey burgers every day for a month and have a million different kinds, and they would all be unique.


I had the greatest plans to make Thai style burgers tonight. Unfortunately, I spent the majority of the afternoon crammed into an Elementary School auditorium/lunchroom. It was hot, claustraphobic, and smelled like lunch ladies. Regardless, I was grateful to be there, because my oldest son was receiving an award in the awards assembly.

As an aside, WHY, oh WHY, do they feel the need to fill the time at the assemblies? They had the little school choir do a song. Um. It turned into a 45 minute montage of EVERY.SINGLE. Disney song ever made. I tried my hardest to keep my eye rolling to a minimum, and to clap and laugh at the witty choir bantor (Bonjour Belle! How is your family?), unfortunately I think people might have noticed my annoyance. I know for a fact that I was sitting next to the families of the poor kids, and they probably hate me. Why do I know that? Because, that's how I do things. I am a "foot-in-mouth" type of person. If I make fun of someone (which I NEVER do), surely the persons mom, friend, babysitter, dry cleaner will hear me, and not only hear me, but happen to be on the phone with said person. It's how I roll.


So, if you are reading this: It wasn't your kids fault they had to drag the torture for 45 of the longest minutes of my life. I was trying to entertain a curious 4-year-old and a very tired 9-month old RIGHT in the middle of nap time. Mkay? (Just for the record, although it may not seem so right now, I am love fine arts! I think that schools need more fine arts. Just not at awards assemblies in lunch rooms.)


Wow. Anyway, of course, then I had to run to 10 million stores to get things for the big school project (due tomorrow), and nurse a baby, and pre-treat stains before they set. You know how it goes.


So...I ended up winging it. Something simpler. And so, the kitchen sink burger was born.


Kitchen Sink Turkey Burgers
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (ground turkey breast is the healthiest option!)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 or 3 smallish handfuls of panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 finely diced red pepper
  • 2-3 T. Shirley J all-purpose seasoning
  • salt, pepper and grill seasoning (I used a steak seasoning)
  • parsley
  1. Combine everything in a large bowl. Mix together until just combined, DON'T overmix! Form into patties and set aside.

  2. I made these on a skillet, because we haven't broken the grill in yet this year. I think it needs gas, and probably a good cleaning. Spray the skillet with non-stick spray. Cook the patties over med to med-high heat. Cook until done---it took me about 5-7 minutes a side. Don't over cook or they will be dry!

Fake-Frites (aka: Pomme Frites)

  • baking potatoes
  • olive oil
  • garlic
  • seasonings
  • fresh herbs
  • Parmesan cheese
  1. I made these very similarly to the way I made roast potatoes. I sliced my potatoes into wedges (you can do thin strips, like fries, or wedges). Make sure they are scrubbed clean and completely dry.
  2. Coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, seasonings and garlic. Mix together so everything is coated well.
  3. Cook in a 450 degree oven for about 25 minutes. As soon as you take them out of the oven toss with fresh herbs and freshly grated Parm cheese

*These are based [loosely] on some awesome pomme frites I had on vacation last year.

Serve the burgers with your choice of toppings. I usually use toppings that go with the burger (ie: if I make pesto burgers, I top with a fresh tomato Italian salsa mix). However, these are great with just plain toppings: tomatoes, lettuce, onions, whatever you've got!

Things I used today:

ground turkey
Shirley J all-purpose seasoning
potatoes
panko bread crumbs
a strong hate for Disney medleys (45 minutes?!)


3 comments:

  1. I'm just saying nail salon. pedicure. Whatever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. I almost posted that story... But then I remembered.

    Point proven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I really want to try the fries!

    and i love ground turkey! i'm not sure if you watch Biggest Loser or not but they totally talked about ground turkey breast being the best option so you are so on track! :)

    thanks for another amazing and inspiring recipe.

    ReplyDelete