Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lettuce Wraps.

I would have a picture of this for you, if I hadn't been making this dinner while holding Zoe in my beco. I can multi-task, but I draw the line there!!

If I could eat my weight in anything, it might be these.

I LOVE these lettuce wraps. I love everything about them, their flavor, versatility, ease and the fact that it's different. It isn't spaghetti, tacos and your every day, run-of-the-mill dinner.

The "base" of this dinner can be used in many applications. If you don't want to make them into lettuce wraps, I won't judge you. You can put it in a Thai style salad, wrap them in a whole wheat tortilla (since I'm not judging, I won't even care if it isn't whole wheat), serve it over brown rice... My favorite is in lettuce wraps, but we've done them just about every way!

PF Who? Lettuce Wraps

  • 1 lb. ground turkey (you can use tofu too, so yummy!)
  • 2 T. grated fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp dry ginger (I usually use a little more)
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 can water chestnuts, chopped (trust me!)
  • red bell pepper, chopped
  • yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cups coleslaw mix (I find the broccoli slaw mix in a bag at the grocery store)
  • shredded carrots (you can go easy and buy the "matchstix" carrots in a bag)
  • cilantro for garnish (if you are feeling fancy)

I want to bathe in this sauce:

  • 4 tsp. sesame oil
  • 8 T. soy sauce
  • 4 T. lime juice (fresh is best, but I won't judge you if you use the bottled stuff)
  • 4 T. honey
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (more or less depending on the heat you want)

(This is double the normal recipe, I make a bit more, so we have extra to serve over the top of each lettuce wrap. If you don't want to do that, then halve the recipe. Or, make it all, and bring the other half to me. I'll dab it behind my ears. It's that good!)

  1. In a large skillet brown the turkey until it is no longer pink. Add ginger, garlic, onion, pepper, water chestnuts, slaw mix (I add the whole bag) and carrots (eyeball the amount of carrots you want). Stir fry the mix until the vegetables are wilted. Add the sauce, stirring constantly to blend all of the ingredients. I let it boil for a minute or so, so the sauce gets thick and coats all of the vegetables.
  2. Serve warm, scoop into lettuce cups, and top with the sauce.

*Don't omit the waterchestnuts, even if you think you don't like them, or they are weird. They give a great crunch, and really make this dish.

This is a GREAT way to sneak in TONS of veggies!

Things I used today:

Ground turkey

1 comment:

  1. I made this a few weeks ago, SO GOOD! I didn't realize how much it would make though, so next time I will half the recipe since there are only two of us!

    ReplyDelete