Saturday, May 2, 2009

Avocado Salsa

Picture taken from the food table at my sister-in-law (hi Jessi!)'s baby shower! If pregnant chicks like it, you will too!!
"Salsa" might not even be the right name for this stuff. This is a dish that can be used SO many ways. As a "salsa" (served with chips), on a salad, on a turkey burger, in tacos, with fish, with chicken, on top of tortilla soup, or eat it with a spoon (hey, I won't judge)... This is one of those dishes that EVERYONE loves. Every time I make it, people ask me about it, ask for the recipe, and then they love me forever.

I have been making this for several years now. I adapted it a bit today to use Shirley J products. You can make it either way with great success.

Avocado Salsa
  • 1 (15 oz) can WHITE corn niblets (Shoepeg corn), drained
  • 1 can black olives, sliced or chopped
  • 1/2 bunch green onions, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pinch red pepper flakes
  • 4 avocados, diced (you can add more or less, depending on size)
  • Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced small(as many as you like, I usually use around 7)

Sauce:

  • 1/3 c. olive oil
  • 1/4 c. lemon juice (real lemons are preferable, but the bottle stuff is okay too)
  • 3 T. apple cider vinegar *
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano**
  • salt & pepper
  1. Whisk sauce together and pour over salsa. Mix together. This is best if it marniates in the fridge for a few hours.

*You can substitute nearly any vinegar here. If I don't have apple cider vinegar, I will use another kind of vinegar and a splash of apple juice. I made this today and used red wine vinegar and apple juice.

**I originally made this with oregano. Today I substitued Shirley J pizza & pasta seasoning and it was great! I think I used a little less (I didn't measure), because the pizza/pasta seasoning is very strong, and a little goes a long way!

Things I used today:

Shirley J pizza & pasta seasoning
avocados
tomatoes
olive oil

Check out the Shirley J website & add their blog to your faves! You won't be sorry!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! That looks so good...gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete