Thursday, May 14, 2009

Garden Pasta

[Change of plans. Artichoke chicken to come, I swear! Yesterday turned into one of those days where you are at the post office, school, grocery store, and nursing a baby all at the exact time dinner needs to be made. This dish was faster, so it won. And yes, I'm always nursing a baby.]

This pasta dish is an Ode to my Garden. Or, it will be, once my garden actually produces something. Right now it's a patch of really nice, small, green plants. I am hoping for an abundance of crops this year... So, while I patiently wait, I emptied out my veggie drawer and made this tasty dish.

Yum.

Garden Pasta
  • fresh veggies (I used carrots, broccoli, zucchini & orange peppers) you can use whatever you've got!
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • pasta
  • Parmesan cheese
  • chicken broth or Shirley J concentrated bouillon and water
  • Shirley J cream sauce base
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. You can use any kind, I used whatever was closest in my eternal pile of pasta for the food storage.
  2. In a large deep skillet, saute vegetables in olive oil. Salt & pepper as you cook. Cook until desired consistancy. I put the longest cooking veggies in first (carrots), and the fastest cooking in at the end (zucchini). If you like crisp veggies, don't cook very long, if you want them more tender, cook longer. (Genius, I know!)
  3. In a saucepan, saute onions and garlic in oil until onions are translucent. Stir in chicken broth (3 c.) and cream sauce base (1 c.). Cook until thickened. Once the sauce is thickened add fresh grated Parm cheese. I added about 1/4-1/2 c. Stir until melted. At this point, you can add any type of herb to the sauce. My herb garden still isn't mature, and I didn't have any [fresh] on hand, so I added a few shakes of oregano.
  4. Pour cream sauce over veggies (still in pan), stir to combine. Add pasta and turn to coat. Warm through and serve.

Need I remind you that Shirley J cream sauce only has 60 calories per prepared cup! Um, he-llo. That makes this dish SO much healthier. And creamier. And tastier.

Go, empty out your veggie drawer and make a tasty dinner. You could also add some grilled chicken to this dish as well!

*And, just for the record: How awesome is this? Talk about being self-reliant. Veggies from garden (well, eventually), pasta from food storage, shirley J from food storage. Boo-yah!

Things I used today:

Shirley J cream sauce base
fresh veggies
Shirley J concentrated bouillon
Parmesan cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment