Friday, June 5, 2009

BBQ Chicken, basic garlic broccoli & sweet potato fries

I'm drooling just a little bit when I remember this meal. It was fresh, delicious, easy and healthy!

Plus, my kids ate sweet potatoes and didn't even know it. I'll admit that even I am not a fan of sweet potatoes. It makes me have dreams of marshmallow topped thanksgiving disasters. Thankfully, the sweet potato (yam, actually) redeemed itself for me in this tasty form!

Plus, look at all of the colors, love it!

Grilled BBQ Chicken
  1. Nothing fancy going on here. I followed the instructions (I know!) on the back of the label. I believe it was 1 cup of seasoning to 3 T. vinegar (don't quote me on that). Mix together and pour over the chicken, in a large ziploc bag. Making sure the chicken is fully covered. Refrigerate and marinate for several hours.
  2. Grill.
  3. Done.

I absolutely LOVE this BBQ sauce. It has SUCH an amazing flavor. Sweet, smoky, a hint of spice, but not enough so the littles won't eat it. It's perfection. Seriously, I'm picky about BBQ sauce, and over the years I've only made a few that I've loved---and most of those were from scratch.

Basic Garlic Broccoli

  • Broccoli cut into florets
  • water
  • 2-3 cloves crushed garlic
  • olive oil
  1. Place a small amount of water into a pan. Just enough to cover the bottom of the pan, maybe a little bit more. Bring to a simmer and add broccoli. Cover and cook only until the color changes on the broccoli. It will still be fairly crisp, but if you over cook it, it will be soggy!
  2. Drain broccoli and set aside.
  3. In a skillet heat together olive oil and crushed garlic (I used one HUGE clove, probably equal to 2 or 3 cloves). Add cooked broccoli and saute until done. Salt and pepper while cooking.

I know this is a basic recipe, but it is SO good. In fact, my husband, who is so-so about broccoli ate it and said, "This is the best broccoli I've ever eaten." Then he ate 3 HUGE helpings of it. That speaks volumes! It's basic but it is SO good.

Sweet Potato Fries (Yams)

  • 4 sweet potatoes (but not real sweet potatoes, yams, the orange ones)
  • 3 T. (about) canola oil
  • salt & pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into french fries. In a large ziploc bag, add sweet potatoes, oil, salt and pepper. Mix around so that they are all evenly coated.
  3. Pour onto a sheet pan. (Depending on the size of your sweet potatoes, you might need 2 pans.) Spread fries into a single layer.
  4. Cook for 30 minutes until brown on one side. Turn fries over and cook for another 30 minutes. You want them crispy on the outside and tender inside. If your fries are really thin, they may not take as long to cook.

**Do not over oil your fries. It is better to start with less and add a tiny bit more if you need it. If you add too much, your fries will become very soggy and won't crisp.

This is a basic recipe. You can make them spicy using cayenne pepper, garlic...I've even seen versions using taco seasoning.

The littles loved the sweet potato fries served with "fry sauce". BBQ sauce mixed with mayo (or, in our house, known as 'ham butter' or 'ba-nay-nay-zzzz')!

This is all such a basic, family friendly meal and very inexpensive to make!

Things I used today:
Shirley J Slow Cooker/Dutch oven BBQ seasoning
chicken
broccoli
garlic
sweet potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment