Monday, June 1, 2009

Blackberry/Raspberry frosting.

I made these beauties for Memorial Day. My thinking was that blackberry and raspberry is kind of blue and red, no? Well...Purple and pink is close enough! Who cares when they taste good.

I made these for the kids, for dessert. I guess I didn't think things through. My kids loved them, but my nieces and nephews didn't. They would have been happier with boxed cake mix and from-the-carton frosting with sprinkles!! Lesson learned!!

I made these variations: homemade white cupcakes with blackberry cream cheese frosting, and homemade chocolate cupcakes with raspberry cream cheese frosting.

Seriously, this frosting was good. Goooood. I think next time I'll do it on big sugar cookies and make fruit pizza-ish things.

Pick your fruit frosting

  • 2 (8 oz pkgs) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 2 c. + powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • fruit of your choice
  1. Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. If you like a "sweeter" frosting, add more sugar, if you like the "cheesey" tasting frosting, add less.
  2. Add a handful of washed, dried fruit. Mix together to break down the fruit into the frosting.

**I made my frosting ahead which I SO shouldn't have done. It turned out runny, because the sugar and juices from the fruit broke down. I tried to save it, and make it thicker, but it was beyond that. It still tasted fine, but wasn't as thick as I'd like. Be aware of that, and you might need to adjust your powdered sugar accordingly.

I won't post the white cake recipe, I wasn't in love with it. It was a lot of work, a lot of steps for an "okay" result.

I used a chocolate cupcake recipe from Martha Stewart. Very rich, but everyone seemed to like it. [I'm no judge, because I'm not a chocolate fan. There, I said it.]

Chocolate Cupcakes

  • 3/4 c. cocoa
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. butter, softened
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare cupcake pan for 12 cupcakes.
  2. Sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  3. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla. On low add flour in 2 batches, alternating with sour cream. Beginning and ending with flour.
  4. Fill cupcakes 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack.

I love fruit. I will incorporate it into anything, especially in the summer! This would also be a good dip...Hmmm.

Things I used today:
fresh fruit (raspberries & blackberries)
cream cheese

1 comment:

  1. OK...now I am officially craving cupcakes! Looks delicious and I am excited to try out the frosting! I love cream cheese in anything!

    ReplyDelete