Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Creamed Peas & Potatoes

This recipe makes me want to do the following things: Lip sync and make up dances to the Beach Boys, sit on a barstool that has my name written on the bottom [in green marker], roller skate in my parents [then] unfinished basement while singing "We Built This City" [...on rock & roll], wear a neon green plastic belt with my shorts over-alls [with one buckle undone, of course], put a fitted [Holly Hobby] sheet around my head and pretend to be Baby Jesus [not as sacrelidge as it sounds, I swear], crimp my hair, and play with my Gem & The Rockers barbie.

Clearly, this is a dish from my childhood. I'll just start off by saying, I do not like cooked peas. I love fresh peas, even frozen peas (on my salad), and I don't even mind them IN things, but I very rarely hunker down with a plate full of cooked peas. In fact, I don't think I've ever done that.

So. Before you judge, PLEASE try this dish. I'm begging you. Just for proof: I made this the other night, [a night where my husband wasn't home for dinner, because he has pea issues] and my boys gobbled this up. And then....they asked for more! If that isn't a testimony of this dish, I don't know what is.

I can't remember how my mom served this dish. Was it a side dish? Was it a main dish? I don't know. In my mind it was a main dish, because I remember loving it so much. But, she most likely served it with other things that I've blocked from my memory. I, however, served this as a main dish the other night. Mostly because, a) I can. And b) I was in a hurry!

My Mamas Creamed Peas & Potatoes (Shirley J style)
  1. Cut and wash potatoes (leave skins on). Cook potatoes in water seasoned with boullion until almost done. Just before finished, add frozen peas and cook until peas are done. (Frozen peas cook VERY quickly!) Drain.
  2. Prepare Shirley J cream sauce base (1 c. base to 3 c. water). Once it is thickened, combine with potatoes and peas.
  3. Salt & pepper to taste.
  4. Serve.

**For the record, I made a few weeks ago, and I can't remember if I did 2 cups or 3 cups of the cream sauce base! Eek.

Seriously, this will taste like it took a lot longer to make. I think the flavor of this will surprise you, and you'll be shocked that it didn't have more ingredients.

So. Put on your zipper jeans and t-shirt clip and enjoy some seriously good home cookin'.



No comments:

Post a Comment