Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fresh Lemonade



Silly, basic, and everyone probably already does this and has their own recipe. But, hey, just in case you don't, you've GOT to try fresh lemonade. I could drink this by the gallon. In fact, I'm fairly sure that this lemonade is the reason cups like this were invented:

I've been known to mock them [and the people who use them] in the past. But now, I could find myself adding one of those giganto mugs into my daily routine...just to support my lemonade habit.

The littles and I made this yesterday. They had a blast squeezing the lemon juice and mixing it all together. I'll give the dudes credit, they got every last drop of lemon juice out of each lemon. For some, like Cammo, most of the lemons got eaten, and never made it to the squeezing stage. [The kid has eaten lemons since he was a baby. I try to limit this obscure love, because I don't want his teeth shriveling into nothingness. He'll eat them, rind and all!]

As an added bonus, your hands smell amazingly awesome after making this lemonade!

There are a million and one lemonade "recipes" out there. All are very similar, so you can easily adjust this to your taste.

Summer Lemonade
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 c. sugar [+/-]
  • 1 c. lemon juice [depending on the lemon, about 4-6 lemons]
  • 3 1/2- 4 c. cold water
  1. Make a simple syrup, using the water and the sugar. [Heat the sugar and water together in a saucepan until the sugar has melted.]
  2. Juice lemons [by hand, machine, whatever---my little hand juicer was like $3] to get 1 cup of fresh lemon juice, being careful to avoid the seeds.
  3. Add the cooled simple syrup and lemon juice to a pitcher. Mix together. Add 3 1/2 - 4 cups of cold water to taste. [Depending on how strong you like your lemonade.]
  4. Refrigerate until cold.

*Any sugar substitute can be used here, if you are avoiding the calories. It works and tastes great as well.

I love the plain lemonade, but I can't resist throwing in some fresh fruit. In the picture above, I macerated some fresh raspberries in the bottom of my glass, and then I poured the lemonade over the top. It was an amazingly awesome fresh raspberry lemonade.

To make a "pink" lemonade, clean and hull fresh strawberries. Pulse them in a blender until they are liquified. Strain them [if you want, if you don't, skip it] and mix into the lemonade mixture. SO good.

My dudes decided they want to make some lemonade for the 4th of July, and do different flavors. We decided we are going to add blueberries to some, and strawberries/raspberries to the others. [Wow, we are so totally creative. Nobody ever thought of red, white & blue themed food for the 4th, especially in Utah...]


No comments:

Post a Comment