Sunday, June 21, 2009

Homemade buns & Turkey Apple Sliders



Mini-burgers are kind of a phenom right now. Everyone is doing it---all of the chain restraunts have them on their menu. Trust me, I don't do anything because everyone else is doing it. Just ask my high school self. Seriously, everyone else was into make-up and clothes. Not me. I had enough Grateful Dead t-shirts to last me a full week. That was all I needed.

Thankfully the wardrobe has since upgraded, but my ability to dig my heels in and not do something because "everyone else is" has never changed.

BUT, I can see past the popularity of the mini-burger, and focus on why I love it. This is the perfect kid sized burger! Not only that, it makes me feel like I'm stretching my budget! I can get 8 burgers from 1 pound of meat instead of 4. Granted, you might need to eat 2 burgers instead of 1, but that's okay. They are dainty, and won't make you feel piggish. I swear.

Plus, they are so totally cute. I'm on with anything that is cute. [I know, a hard sell, since you are picturing me in Grateful Dead t-shirts. I swear, it's all better now. It was a phase. I'm on board with cute now, I swear.]

Also, with the totally cute & dainty burger, I made my own buns. I loathe buying store bought hamburger/hot dog buns. Why? a) They aren't tasty. They serve the purpose of holding the meat [or what have you] inside, and offer no flavor. b) I can't keep up with them. I buy them for a dinner menu, and keep them in the fridge. By the time I need to use them, they are all hard and soggy and gross. If I don't put them in the fridge, they get moldy. If I freeze them they shrink into hockey pucks.

In general, they just suck.

So. I make my own. Seriously, SO easy.


Hamburger/Hotdog Buns

  • 1 c. water (warm about 110 degrees)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 c. white flour
  • 1 1/2 c. wheat flour [or you can use all white flour with no problems]
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 c. shortening
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 3 T. yeast
  • 1/2 tsp - 3/4 tsp. Shirley J dough enhancer [Use 3/4 if you use whole wheat flour, and 1/2 if you use all white flour]
  1. Place all ingredients in bread maker. Set to "dough" setting.
  2. When dough is finished, shape into a 12" long rope. Cut in half, and in half again, continuing until you have 8 pieces [for normal sized hamburger buns, I did small buns, so I did 16 pieces], or 12 pieces for hotdog buns.
  3. Shape into circles for hamburger buns, or into hotdog buns. Place on a sprayed cookie sheet and cover. Let rise in a warm place [I set it on top of my preheated oven] for 15 minutes, until doubled.
  4. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. When done, remove from pan and cool on a rack.
  5. Store in ziploc bags.

*If you don't have dough enhancer, these buns will still work out great. The enhancer just makes the dough more smooth!

Turkey Apple Sliders
I found this recipe [mine is altered to my tastes] on the 'net a while back. Unfortunately I didn't save where I got it from! I wish I could take full credit for this recipe. I LOVE this idea, and wish I had created it all by myself. I just changed it! Regardless, it's SO good.

  • 1 lb. ground turkey [breast is best]
  • 1 granny smith apple, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/3 c. panko bread crumbs
  • 1 T. worcestershire sauce
  • garlic powder
  • salt & pepper
  • Swiss cheese slices
  1. Mix all ingredients together [except swiss cheese], until just combined, don't overmix. Divide mixture in half, and then in half again, until you have 8 equal portions.
  2. Form into small patties, putting a small dent in the center of each patty. [Like a thumbprint.]
  3. Spray our grill with non-stick spray [turkey, because it doesn't have much fat, tends to stick], and grill each patty until done. Because they are small, it shouldn't take long. When the burgers are done, turn off the heat and top each one with a small slice [or 2] of swiss cheese. Close the lid to the grill and let the cheese melt.
  4. During cooking, throw your homemade buns on the top rack of the grill, and toast the buns. If you are like me, you will more than likely burn at least 2 of the buns...so have extras on hand!
  5. Serve with desired toppings: ketchup, mayo [or ham butter, as my 4 year-old calls it], mustard, pickles, tomatoes, onions...

You don't really taste the apples in this 'burger'. It does give it a hint of sweetness and tang, but it really just helps the burger to stay moist. The swiss cheese balances it all out, so don't forget the swiss!!

Even if you once wore a closet full of Grateful Dead t-shirts, you can still make cute, non-trendy burgers.


3 comments:

  1. I agree with the whole bun thing :-) I am excited to try to make my own with your recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got around to making these. So delicious. Thanks for the great recipes. Homemade buns are really the way to go.

    ReplyDelete