Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Kid Food: Chicken 'Nuggets'


I'm just saying, I hate the word "nuggets".

Mason and Cammo LOVE chicken nuggets. And, hey, I'm not complaining if I can get them to eat meat willingly. Normally, I have to force Camden to swallow the soggy, chewed up meat that has been stored in his cheeks for 2 weeks. [I know, totally an inappropriate visual for a food blog. I'm just telling it like it is!]

Have you ever read the ingredients of frozen/processed chicken nuggets? Have you ever noticed how they are GREY inside? I don't think any food should ever be grey. Except of course, the
Armadillo cake from one of the best movies ever [which ironically has a presence in my blog, apparently].

These are all breast meat, moist [another word I hate, by the way] flavorful chicken 'nuggets'. I make these in big batches and keep them in my freezer. They are great to have on hand for lunches, nights when you need a quick meal, and they are seriously husband-proof.

Tender Chicken Nuggets
The measurements here are approximate. I make these all the time, and I don't really measure anything out, I just toss it all together!
  • 1 c. seasoned bread crumbs
  • 5 T. grated Parmesan cheese [the real stuff, you know how I feel about the powder in the green can, please!]
  • 2-3 egg whites & water
  • 4 T. melted butter [+/-]
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
  1. Beat the egg whites and water together in a shallow dish. [You can use the whole egg if you'd like, I prefer egg white only!]
  2. In a large ziploc bag [or in a shallow dish, however you prefer], combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
  3. Dip chicken pieces in egg whites and then toss in bread crumb mixture. Make sure each piece is coated well.
  4. Place on a baking sheet [I use my cookie sheet], that has been coated with non-stick spray.
  5. Drizzle each piece of chicken with a small amount of the melted butter. You don't need to saturate them, just make sure that each piece gets some! This will help keep the chicken moist, and make the coating not get dry and crumbly in the oven.
  6. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.

*If you are making these to freeze, store them in an airtight container [ziploc, whatever] after step #3.

These are great with any dipping sauces! It's fun to have a variety out, and let the littles go crazy testing the dips.

Variation:

  • Add a few teaspoons of Shirley J pizza & pasta seasoning in with the bread crumb/parm cheese mixture. When I do this, the dudes call them "pizza chicken." They can be dipped in marinara or ranch.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete