Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Kid Food: Corn Dog Muffins

I know. I know! Before you think anything, let me explain myself!

Mason, my oldest, never tried a hotdog until he was 3. We were at a BBQ and he tried it, and he hated it. He spit it out, and wouldn't eat anything. I was thrilled. I am not a hot dog person at all.

Unfortunately, Masons disdain for hotdogs didn't last forever. Now he likes them, which is nothing to how much Camden LOVES them. Really, he LOVES them. Thankfully I do the best I can, by subbing turkey dogs instead of mystery meat dogs. Jennie-O turkey dogs are the faves. In fact, I have several packages in my freezer (hey, they were on sale for .99 cents), and I pull them out frequently.

Enter: Corn dog. It is hard to find a turkey corndog. Aside from that, it's even harder to find one that isn't full of preservatives and junk that I really don't want my kids to be eating. [I swear, I'm not trying to be holier than thou, we aren't perfect, I swear. But, I try when I can.]


So, this is my homemade, kid friendly, freezer friendly "corn dog". These are adaptable, customizeable, and my kids love them!

I made a batch [makes 24 muffins] the other day and put them in the freezer. They are great to have on hand for lunches, quick dinners, or nights that my husband "cooks" [aka: reheats].



Corn Dog Muffins


  • 2 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 c. cornmeal
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs [beaten lightly]
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. onion, chopped finely
  • 5 turkey dogs, cut into small chunks
  • shredded cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pans. [This recipe makes 24 muffins.]
  2. Mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl mix together the eggs, oil and milk. Combine the ingredients and mix well.
  3. Place a small amount of the cornbread mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin. [Just enough to cover the bottom, barely!]
  4. Add the hotdogs, onions and shredded cheese to the rest of the batter. Mix to combine.
  5. Fill the muffin cups with the batter until about 2/3 full.
  6. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.

ALTERNATE DIRECTIONS:

  1. Follow directions 1 & 2 above. Adding onions and cheese to the batter. Fill each muffin tin about half way full. Place one or two large hotdog chunks into the batter of each tin. Cover with more batter.
  2. Bake for about 20 minutes.

I think I *might* prefer the 2nd directions, just because I can control the amount of "hot dog" per muffin. The ones pictured, however, use the first method. Also, I think next time I might add more turkey dogs. It makes a lot of batter, and the tiny little turkey dogs just get lost. If you use 'real' hot dogs instead of turkey dogs, they are probably thicker and bigger, so you may not need as many.

These are great to make ahead and freeze. Serve with mustard, ketchup & relish if desired.

*You can also add honey to your cornbread mix, if you prefer a sweeter breading!
**You can also use green onions, and add anything else that you'd like, jalapenos, omit the cheese, add more cheese....

2 comments:

  1. those are adorable! I'll have to make those, my kids love hotdogs :) ...And I do too, really

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT idea! I'm sending this post to J right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete