Friday, June 26, 2009

Mary, Mary...

Oh, baby.



We have been lucky to always have tremendous success in our garden. Last year it got neglected and basically forgotten about. To be honest, we didn't really eat nearly any of the vegetables that came from it. I spent all of last summer on bedrest, and then with a newborn. I wasn't cooking, and frankly, the garden was the last thing on my mind.



This year, however, it's a different story. I'm back to my garden fanatic-self. I've been checking every day for progress. The dudes and I are very excited with the things we've got growing, and I am seriously itching to cook with the goods!


My dream is to someday live on some serious acreage and live off the land as much as possible. I'd love to have fruit trees, and grow every fruit and vegetable under the sun. I don't need a big fancy house, just a lot of land where my kids can roam free, and I can grow everything. I also want chickens [for fresh eggs] and bees.


It's okay, you can say it. I'm weird. And crazy.

Two tiny little green peppers...which will stay on until they are red peppers. We only planted two pepper plants this year. I've been known to go a little "pepper plant" crazy in the past, but I tamed it down this year.

My huge cherry tomato plant & heirloom tomato plant. I didn't see fruit on either of these yet, but they are HUGE plants, and I didn't have time to dig through them. I'm very excited for these, the heirlooms especially. This is the first year I've planted them, and I can't wait to use them!

A roma tomato! I love romas!! We usually plant a ton of these, and they are always so succesful for us. I use them in sauces, salsas, fresh...everything. Hopefully this year will be as succesful as the past, and I'll have enough to can. In the past, we've had neighbors coming over with grocery sacks to fill with our roma tomatoes, we had THAT many!

A zucchini! Our zucchini plant is going crazy, we have a ton in, and a ton that are in blossom still! I can't wait for these to be ready!! Grill 'em, cook with 'em, make them into muffins, breads and brownies!
The very first yellow squash [summer squash as we call it]! One of our family favorites. I grew up with a garden full of this, and we all devoured it! I can't wait to eat this!
This is our [the dudes] little experiment. I don't know why I never thought of this before, but I learned about it from The Next Food Network Star. We have already cut back the greens once, and this morning we cut them all off again. The kids LOVE to watch their progress every day. And I love the little glass sitting by my sink.
There is more in the garden, but who wants to be bored with my garden? Carry on with your lives, and I'll go spend time staring at the blossoms...

Grow little garden, grow!

2 comments:

  1. I made the Turkey Apple sliders the other night...fantastic! The offspring loved them, too. The bun recipe was the best I've ever tried, even though they didn't LOOK the greatest when they came out of the oven. Of course, that's all my fault; I've never had a talent for making lovely looking bread products! Your garden looks great...so lush and fresh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete