Sunday, July 12, 2009

Blueberries Wild Pancakes


These contain my dudes two favorite things: blueberries and pancakes. I was a totally awesome mom and made these for lunch, yes lunch the other day. In an effort to constantly keep our lives [summer] fun and exciting, I decided to mix it up a little bit. Of course, it means that someday soon, they'll be eating pasta & veggies for breakfast...but I haven't told them yet. Let them live in ignorance.

Everyone who knows me knows that I'm a "from scratch" kind of girl. I like to make cakes, cookies, buns, breads, and yes, even pancakes from scratch. Not only do I love the taste, but I find some sort of satisfaction from creating something from nothing.

That being said, there are times where a mix is a perfect and wonderful thing. Even better when it actually tastes good! [I know, who would have thunk!]

The Shirley J pancake mix is one of those mixes. Normally pancakes from mix are rubbery and tasteless and...well, don't have a place in my pantry [or food storage]! These pancakes are nice a and fluffy, and have that yummy homemade taste. Even better, they are a great base and allow for creativity and fun!

Blueberries Wild Pancakes

Sauce:

  • 2 cups frozen blueberries
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 2 T. flour
  • 2 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • lemon zest
  • 1/4 c. water
  1. Mix flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and water in a saucepan. Add blueberries. Cook over medium heat about 15 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
  2. While sauce is cooking, make pancakes.

Blueberry Pancakes

  1. Mix together pancake mix, sugar and toss in blueberries. Coat blueberries with dry mix. Stir in water until mix is combined.
  2. Fry on pancake griddle for about 1 1/2 minutes each side.
  3. Serve with blueberry syrup & whip cream, if desired.

[This makes quite a few pancakes. Enough for me to freeze quite a few, and save for breakfasts later in the week!]

*The blueberry syrup is great over pancakes, but could also be served over ice cream, short cake [blueberry shortcake!], waffles...anything!

**Fresh blueberries, if they are available to you, could be subsituted here! There might be some liquid alterations [in the sauce], but would probably taste even better!

***Also, for a great change, add a dollop of ricotta cheese to the top of the pancakes and then cover with the blueberry sauce. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. this looks so good, we love blueberry pancakes. I haven't tried the Shirley J pancake mix yet, I will have to place an order and get some :-)

    ReplyDelete