Monday, July 27, 2009

Green Pit-za.


I apologize for my lack of recipes and postings! Summer is in full swing, and I'm trying to soak up every last minute of kid-fun, before I have to send my oldest to all-day school. But, please let's not talk about that, because it makes me hyperventilate and want to lock him in a tiny closet, where he won't grow up and leave me all day.

I'm totally one of those moms who don't want my kids gone all day. My kids are cool kids, and I love being with them all the time. [Remind me this when I call my husband at 4:00 today and tell him he better hurry home from work tonight, or I'm going to go crazy. Thanks.]

Awesome. Now I'm worked up all over again!

The original recipe for this dish came from a little someone called Rachael Ray. I know, I want to slap her too. But, she has some decent recipes sometimes! And, I promise I will never say EVOO.

I altered the recipe a little bit, and this is what I came up with.

It Ain't Easy Being Green Pit-za
  • 4-6 pita breads [I made mine from scratch, using this recipe]
  • 1/2 c. basil pesto
  • 1 c. ricotta cheese [I used skim ricotta]
  • 1 c. cooked broccoli florets, chopped
  • 1 bag spinach, cooked, drained, squeeze dried and chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • shredded mozzarella cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Toast pita bread on cookie sheets for 3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
  3. Cook broccoli in boiling water until cooked [not soggy!], remove from water, and chop. Combine with pesto and ricotta in a large bowl; set aside.
  4. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and garlic. And in handfuls of spinach, stirring as it wilts. It looks like a lot of spinach, but it cooks down to not very much at all! When the spinach is cooked through, remove from pan to cool. Once it is cool, use a kitchen towel to squeeze the excess liquid from the spinach. Chop, and add to bowl with other ingredients. Season with salt & pepper to taste. [Easy on the salt!]
  5. Spread mixture on top of each pita bread, then sprinkle with mozzarella.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese bubbles and begins to brown.

This is a great way to sneak in the extra greens. My little dudes love these, because they are individual size, and they think the green sauce is cool. [My kiddos love pesto!]

I serve this with a big green "everything" salad. Seriously, how did we all survive when salad was just lettuce, carrots and tomatoes? I love the make a big huge salad and add everything! Then, I eat it for lunch and dinner every day...until it's gone! [I'd like the bless the person who first added dried cranberries and nuts to salads, thankyou!] The above pictured salad has mixed greens, turkey bacon, dried cranberries, toasted almonds, carrots, tomatoes, and swiss cheese. It made me happy.

And with that, I'm off to smother my 6-year-old with kisses and be an overbearing mother. There isn't anything better to be!

1 comment:

  1. I gave your little food blog an award! I bet you are so excited! Check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete