Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Turkey Pesto Burgers


Have I mentioned lately that I love summer? Turkey burgers are one of my favorite summer foods to make! Nothing says summer to me more than foods that are grillable. And fast. And easy. And tasty. And fresh. And healthy. [Okay, and include fruit, which this doesn't. But I did serve it with fresh sliced kiwi. Feel better?]

Summer is also the reason the buns on this burger aren't my favorite homemade buns. I didn't have time to make them this morning before we left for the pool!! We played all day in the sun, which left little time to make buns!

And while we are blaming summer for things...it is also the reason my back is fried. Just for the record, I'm Scandinavian. I'm white. But not just white, like fair-skinned, blue-eyed, put sunscreen-on-when-you-run-to-the-mailbox white.

I tried to put sunscreen on myself today. I was hugely successful on the upper 1/12 of my right and left shoulder blades. Leaving, of course, the rest to crisp away in the hot July sun.

So. My sunburned back and lack of [homemade] buns will have to be forgiven. Even with all of those strikes against me, I was able to pull off a seriously tasty meal.

Turkey Pesto Burgers
  • 1 lb. ground turkey [breast is best, as my husband would say]
  • 2 heaping Tablespoons pesto*
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3-1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • salt & pepper
  • 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
  • 2 T. Shirley J all-purpose seasoning
  • Cheese [optional], I used provolone today
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together to incorporate, but don't overmix!
  2. Seperate into 4 equal sized patties [or 8, if you are into the ultra-trendy slider].
  3. Spray your grill with non-stick spray [who are we kidding, let's call a spade a spade...PAM], and grill patties until cooked through. [About 5-7 minutes a side, depending on your grill.]
  4. When the burgers are done, turn off the heat and place cheese slices on top of each patty. Close grill lid and allow cheese to melt.

*You can use store bought or homemade pesto, whichever you prefer. Very easy and basic, using pinenuts [or walnuts!], basil, parmesan cheese, garlic and olive oil. If you need a recipe, let me know! Store bought pesto can be found anywhere, in a variety of flavors.

I served my burgers with a pesto-mayo. Made by mixing mayo and pesto together...You never would have guessed!!

These burgers were served with Pomme Frites, which were awesome, in case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment