Monday, July 13, 2009

Zucchini Bread

And so it begins! My garden is filled with zucchini! I'm grilling it, shredding it, freezing it, boiling it... and baking with it! Sunday morning I decided to try out a new zucchini bread recipe. I have one that I love, and have been making for years, but I wanted to try something new! This recipe certainly didn't disappoint!

You may have heard of little lady name Paula Deen. I make a lot of her recipes [or versions of them], and I knew I could trust a good Southern lady to produce a good zucchini bread!

Instead of following her recipe completely, I completely cut out the oil [a full cup] and replaced it with applesauce! I also reduced the sugar and added a mashed banana...

Okay, so it really isn't her recipe anymore, but it gave me a good starting point! With all of the changes I made, I made it healthier and it is SO good!

Paula...Er Anna's Zucchini Bread
  • 3 1/4 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1 c. applesauce
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1/3 c. water
  • 2 c. grated zucchini [I might have even used a little more]
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts [optional---I left out, so my baby could eat it]
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl mix wet ingredients [applesauce, eggs, water, zucchini, mashed banana and lemon juice], and in a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients [flour, nutmeg, soda, cinnamon, and sugar]. Gradually pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Fold in nuts, if desired.
  3. Pour into 2 well greased loaf pans.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until a tester comes out clean. [In my oven it took about 48-50 minutes!]
*You can also bake these in muffin tins, which take about 15-20 minutes to bake.
Just wait...I have a ton of zucchini recipes coming up! Zucchini brownies. No, really!!

No comments:

Post a Comment