You may have heard of little lady name Paula Deen. I make a lot of her recipes [or versions of them], and I knew I could trust a good Southern lady to produce a good zucchini bread!
Instead of following her recipe completely, I completely cut out the oil [a full cup] and replaced it with applesauce! I also reduced the sugar and added a mashed banana...
Okay, so it really isn't her recipe anymore, but it gave me a good starting point! With all of the changes I made, I made it healthier and it is SO good!
Paula...Er Anna's Zucchini Bread
- 3 1/4 c. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. applesauce
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 c. water
- 2 c. grated zucchini [I might have even used a little more]
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 c. chopped walnuts [optional---I left out, so my baby could eat it]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix wet ingredients [applesauce, eggs, water, zucchini, mashed banana and lemon juice], and in a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients [flour, nutmeg, soda, cinnamon, and sugar]. Gradually pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Fold in nuts, if desired.
- Pour into 2 well greased loaf pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until a tester comes out clean. [In my oven it took about 48-50 minutes!]
Just wait...I have a ton of zucchini recipes coming up! Zucchini brownies. No, really!!