Thursday, July 30, 2009

Zucchini Brownies

Things you might know about me: I wore Grateful Dead shirts in High School. I don't want my babies to grow up. I once had a crush on Jordan Knight [N.K.O.T.B]. Oh, wait, you didn't know that one. [Just so you know, that was way pre-Jerry Garcia days.] And, I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate. Truth be told, I'm not much of a dessert person.


There, I said it.


Don't get me wrong, I love to bake. I love to make desserts, but eating them. Eh, give or take, most of the time.

Shut the front door! These brownies are HEALTHY [as can be, I guess], and delicious. I've had this recipe for years, but dusted it off yesterday, and the littles and I got to work.

Plus, they help me use up the 14 lbs. of zucchini my garden is producing a day.


Don't think these will taste like zucchini bread. Or even zucchini really. They taste like a moist [one of my least favorite words, by the way, along with 'swab'.], fudgey brownie.

Seriously, try them. I'll be disappointed if you don't. If you need a zucchini [or 10], just let me know, and I can hook you up. [After you weed my flower beds, and mow my lawn, of course.]



Zucchini Brownies
The batter for these will appear DRY until the zucchini is added. It will look crumbly, and make you want to cry and throw it away. Don't! As soon as you add the zucchini and mix it for a minute, it will be moist [there's that stupid word again] and just right. Don't add any eggs or extra liquid. IF, after you've added the zucchini and mixed it well, and it still isn't wet, you can add a Tablespoon of water. I've never had to do that! Zucchinis have tons of water in them, so you'll get your moisture from them.
  • 1/4 c. applesauce*
  • 1/4 c. oil*
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 c. shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 c. chopped walnuts [I didn't add, but you can if you want]
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, oil, sugar and vanilla until well blended.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix 1 cup at a time into the sugar mixture. Mix well. The "batter" will appear dry and crumbly.
  4. Mix in the zucchini and nuts [optional]. Mix until the zucchini turns it into a nice moist batter.
  5. Spread evenly in prepared pan and bake for 25-35 minutes [my oven takes about 35], until brownies spring back when touched. Don't overbake!
  6. Frost when cooled.
Basic Frosting
  • 6 T. cocoa
  • 6 T. butter
  • 3 c. + powdered sugar
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  1. Melt together cocoa and butter in a small saucepan. Set aside to cool.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir in cocoa/butter mixture. Add more powdered sugar [if needed] to reach the desired consistancy.
  3. Spread over cooled brownies.
*You can substitue applesauce for the full amount of the oil if you'd like. I do with great success. Try it both ways and see which you prefer.
At first these will seem cakey [and great!], but after the've been out for a day or so [in the pan covered with foil], they'll be more dense like a traditional brownie. Either way they are great.


8 comments:

  1. The zucchini does make my chocolate cake moist~never tried it in a brownie recipe. If you've got zucchini growing out of your ears, shred them, measure, and freeze in ziploc bags. Then you can enjoy this year round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing that! I have bags, and bags, and bags of zucchini in the freezer!! I'm going to continue, until I run out of room to put it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i must try. we've got lots of zucchini too. plus anytime i can say that the dessert i'm making is remotely healthy i feel better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gave you an award! Check my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Frieda!!! :) Off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky---I agree completely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I am going to try this! So I know what I am doig I just want to make sure...substitute 1/4 cup of applesauce for the 1/4 cup of oil right??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill---No, you can sub all of the oil with more applesauce---so you'd have 1/2 cup of applesauce and NO oil. Or you can do 1/4 c. applesauce and 1/4 c. oil. :)

    ReplyDelete