Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Corn Salad




I am in love.


[And also avoiding the fact that today is the last day that my "baby" will be home with me all the time. Forever. Seriously, this is it. Unless I decide to homeschool him. Sure, he'll visit in the afternoons and during the weekends, and for a few weeks during the summer. But this is it! I am an emotional, hormonal, wreck.] But, I'm also excited for him. He is so excited, and has been counting down for weeks.


So, this is the kind of dish that makes me happy. It's so good it makes me forget that I should be crying, and packing his bags, and preparing for him to date a girl with a tongue ring. [Pot=Kettle. I know. Another thing you didn't know about me. It was a long time ago, I try to block it out.]


We went to a back-to-school swim party at my brothers house last night. I was asked to bring a salad, which just so happens to be one of my favorite things to bring, because if I know anything, it's salad. I make a million and one good salads.


However, yesterday I decided to do something different. We have tomatoes and herbs coming out our ears, and I wanted to use them! I didn't grow corn this year, because we have access to the best corn ever [Harward Farms] it's literally right next to our house. So I picked up a dozen [or 13] and made a delicious, fresh, summer tasting salad!


Corn Salad



  • 7 [or more] ears of corn
  • tomatoes, seeded and diced [I used Roma], as many or little as you like
  • 1/2 vidala or Walla Walla onion [basically a sweet onion]
  • 1/4-1/2 c. [depending on how much corn you use] fresh chopped parsley
  • 1/4 c + [I added probably 3/8 c.] olive oil
  • 2 T. apple cider vinegar
  • salt & pepper [generous]
  • lemon
  1. Husk and clean corn. Cook corn [either boil or grill]. You don't want it soggy and mushy, still crunchy. I boiled mine for maybe 2 minutes, and it was perfect!

  2. Set corn aside [removed from water] to cool. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, onion, and parsley in a bowl.

  3. Cut corn from the cob. If you want, you can get the "corn milk" and add it to the dressing. Add corn to bowl.

  4. Mix together the olive oil, and vinegar. Pour over salad. Mix to coat. Season with salt and pepper. [I also tossed in some fresh lemon juice [1/2 lemon], but this is totally optional.]

  5. This is best when you cover it and let it sit in the fridge for several hours before serving.

*You could also add some avocados, black beans, and serve it over fish or chicken, or even use it as a dip. However, I love this pure, fresh form.

No comments:

Post a Comment