Friday, September 4, 2009

Fresh Salsa



I am exactly 0% Mexican. I haven't done the research or geneology, but I can say that with 100% certainty. [And if you've ever seen me, you'd probably agree! And if you haven't ever seen me, you aren't missing much!]

Regardless of my lack of Mexican heritage, I have picked up a few skillz here and there. A long time ago, before I had kids, and a mortgage, and nursing boobs, I had a job. A real live, actual paying, Monday through Friday, respectable gig. It just so happens that a girl I worked with [for a while] was Mexican [I'm not sure of her % or pedigree, we weren't that close]. But, I do know, that she gave me a great fresh salsa recipe.

This is one of those things you can make, and eat it for lunch, dinner, snack... Taking one little "sample" may or may not turn into you eating your weight in a Costco size bag of tortilla chips. [Not speaking from experience, however, I did see Chris in a salsa coma the other night. It wasn't pretty, trust me!]

Fresh Salsa
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 onion
  • 2 1/2-3 lbs. tomatoes [romas!]
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 2 jalapenos
  • salt, pepper & chili powder
  1. In a large saucepan, cover tomatoes, garlic and jalapenos with water. Boil just until tomatoes are tender. [When you see the skin start to break!] This won't take very long, and don't overcook them or you'll end up with water loaded, yucky tomatoes!
  2. Cool tomatoes completely. [At this point, if you prefer, you can take the skin off the tomatoes. I don't, but if you want to, it won't change anything!]
  3. Meanwhile, puree garlic and jalapenos in a blender.
  4. When the tomatoes are cooled, add them, one at a time, to the blender [keep the jalapenos and garlic in the blender]. Pulse tomatoes [add one, pulse, add another, pulse, etc.] quickly. Usually a one second push on the button, and they are good. Continue until all tomatoes are pulsed.
  5. Pour into a large covered dish and cool completely in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
  6. Dice onions and chop cilantro and add to the tomato mixture. Season with salt, pepper and chili powder. It may take a lot of seasoning to get it to the right flavor.
  7. Let it sit for about 30 minutes before eating. I prefer to let it sit a bit longer, if you can wait!
  8. This will store in the fridge [covered] for several days.

*Depending on heat levels, you can decrease the jalapenos. I usually take the seeds and ribs out of mine if I know I don't want it too hot.

Also, you don't need a boatload of cilantro, just enough to give it the right taste. If you are hesitant, start of with a handful, mix it in, taste, and go from there. You want it to accent the flavors, not overtake them.

Sometimes it takes a bit to get the right amount of salt, pepper & chili powder just right. I always start off with less [chili powder] and keep adding.

2 comments:

  1. I've been obsessing over making this salsa ever since you posted it...just procured the ingredients today! So, I'll probably be thick in the salsa coma stage at soccer on Thursday. Just to warn you.

    ReplyDelete