Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BBQ Pork Slaw Sandwiches


Let it be known: This is the first time I've ever made something with the word "butt" in the name. I don't know if it is the vegetarian in me, or the normal in me [there is a tiny bit], but seriously, "pork butt"? Is that necessary?? Who named it a 10 year-old boy?

Now, normally I'm all for calling a spade a spade. But there are a few places I think the line can be drawn. I'm okay with being in the dark sometimes. Just call it pork lump or something. Honesty isn't always the best policy.

That being said, this is the first time I've ever cooked pork.

I rode out all of the "other white meat" hype for a long time. But my husband really likes BBQ pork sandwiches, and my pal Guy Fieri gave me some help with Triple D and Guys Big Bite . Well...that, and I just finished reading Charlottes Web with the littles.

I didn't make my sandwich anything like Guy's. He is really into BBQ. The Southern, cult-following, "slow & low" malarkey. Me, not so much!

BBQ Pork Sandwiches w/ Apple Slaw
  • 3-4 lb. boston butt pork roast
  • 1 onion
  • 5 cloves garlic [peeled, but left whole]
  • salt & pepper
  • liquid smoke [I did steal this bit from Guy]
  • BBQ sauce of your choice
  1. Chunk one whole large onion, and lay in the bottom of your crock pot. Layer with the whole cloves of garlic. Season the butt [ha!] with salt and pepper on all sides. Lay on top of the garlic and onions.
  2. Add about 2-3 cups water, maybe more, depending on the size of your crock pot. [Enough to go about 1/2 way up on the meat]. Add a splash of liquid smoke. ***I use the same method people do with "coke"...but I don't want to add all that extra sugar, so I just used water.
  3. Cook on low for about 8 hours.
  4. Remove butt [ha!] from crock pot and drain water, onions, garlic, etc. Shred the pork and return to the crock pot. Add one bottle of barbecue sauce and mix. [The Shirley J BBQ seasoning is wicked awesome here!]
  5. Heat for about 30minutes to 1 hour on high.
  6. Serve on my awesome wheat buns and top with apple slaw for a great crunch!
Basic Apple Slaw
  • 1 bag coleslaw mix [or you can shred your own if you are superhuman and don't have a clingy baby on your hip...]
  • 1 medium red onion, diced small
  • 2 green apples, shredded
  • shredded carrots [I didn't measure, about 1+ cup]
  • fresh parsley
  • 2 T-3T sugar
  • 1 c. mayo
  • 1/3 c. apple cider vinegar [my favorite vinegar EVER, fyi]
  • salt & pepper
  1. Mix veggies together and toss with mixed dressing. Alter according to tastes [more sugar, more s&p, etc.]. Let sit covered in fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
Now. Just so you know, I made this dish just for my husband, as my feelings about pork have been discussed. I made it, felt a tiny bit proud that I'd conqured butt, dished my husband up a beeee-yootiful looking plate. [He ate after us, because he got home from work late, and I don't hold dinner for him, because I'm just that sucky.]
I asked him, "So....did you like your dinner?" [I'm not above asking for compliments!]
Do you know what he said?! "I'm not a fan of coleslaw."
Oh, yes. He did.
I haven't fed him since.

No comments:

Post a Comment