Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kiwifruit Smoothies

The picture is confusing, I know. This isn't a recipe for large forehead bruises or cute little boy fingers. It is, in fact, Cam-a-roni, devouring his "after school snack."



What is it about school that makes kids absolutely famished? I KNOW they eat good breakfasts and lunches. Are they doing military style training all day long? Running laps in the gym with the heat turned on? Whatever it is, it's serious. You've never seen hungry until you've seen a boy [maybe a girl, but I don't have one of those in school yet] come inside from school with the comatose death look in their eyes. It isn't until they've been properly fed again that they start to return to normal.



So...once I learned this, I realized that boxed crackers and milk just weren't going to cut it for my dudes.



The littles LOVE kiwi. All 3 of my kids can go through the jumbo sized box of kiwi in less then a few days. Which is okay with me! Did you know what a super fruit kiwi is? I didn't! One serving of kiwi contains more potassium than a banana, the vitamin C of TWO oranges, and all the fiber in a bowl of bran! Hel-lo?! Why didn't I know this. [From http://www.familykiwi.com/]



I found this recipe inside the big polyg-sized box of kiwi I bought at Sam's [or was it Costco?]. My littles loved to help make it, and it was SO tasty!



KiwiFruit Pear Smoothie


  • 8 oz. plain yogurt [I used vanilla, because it's what I had on hand]

  • 1 c. pears, peeled and diced [I used canned pears, 1 whole pear, and I didn't dice it.]

  • 1 banana peeled and chunked [I did do this!]

  • 1/4 c. honey

  • 1 c. ice cubes

  • 6 green kiwi fruit [I think I used 4 or 5, because we were at the end of our kiwi box]


  1. Combine the yogurt, pears, bananas and honey in a blender. Pulse until smooth. Add ice cubes one at a time and process until smooth. Slice each kiwifruit in half and spoon fruit out into blender. [Much like you scoop out an avocado with a spoon!] Pulse until blended. Makes about 4 servings.

Also, throw in some flax seed to make it even better for you! My boys are forever requesting this now! This would be a great breakfast as well. If you aren't on the kiwi wagon, I highly suggest jumping on soon. It's pretty freakin' awesome.

1 comment: