Friday, October 2, 2009

Creamy Orzo with Parmesan, Basil & Tomatoes



I have now seen the inner circles of hell. It involves a road trip [to & from on the same day!], with a 14 month old who is a) getting molars, b) doesn't love riding in the car, and c) very rarely falls asleep in places other than her bed.

In order to wipe the too fresh memory from my brain, I decided to cover it up with cheesey-tomatoey-basily goodness. When all else fails, I'm not against hiding my head in the sand. [And buying stock in tylenol, orajel, teething tablets, and earplugs.]

I love different side dishes. Rice and potatoes can get boring and old really fast! This dish uses orzo, which is one of my favorite ingredients! If you've never used it before, you should totally give it a go. It's a rice shaped pasta, that can be used in so many different ways. I use it in soups, pilaf, side dishes, salads...so versatile and quick cooking! Basically, a great way to dress up a boring dinner. [Shown here with grilled chicken. Clearly this dish was made, and picture was taken well before the temperature plunged to a chilly 40 degrees.]

Creamy Orzo with Parm, Basil & Tomatoes
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 T. butter
  • 1 c. uncooked orzo pasta
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp. Shirley J chicken bouillon
  • 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 T. dried basil
  • chopped fresh tomatoes
  1. Melt the butter and oil in a saucepan over med-high heat. Add uncooked orzo. Saute until lightly browned. [Being careful, because orzo can go to golden brown to burned really quickly!] Combine water and bouillon and add to saucepan. Bring to a boil.
  2. Cover pan and turn heat to simmer. Simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
  3. Mix in parmesan cheese, basil and tomatoes. Serve.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Annalee, I am so glad I found your blog. YUM!!!! Where did you get these family pictures taken? awesome!!!! Have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete