Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ghoulish Goodies













Little Cam-a-roni [Cammo, Cammers, Cam-a-rama-ding-dong, or Camden] had to take snacks to preschool today!

I'm pretty sure he goes to the only school in the country that still allows homemade snacks. [Good and bad, for sure!] Thankfully I'm the only mom that ever makes anything, which is great! That means my kid isn't eating who knows what from random people, but their kids get to eat super awesome stuff made by me! [Oh so humble, I know!]

They were learning about "Monster Math" today, so we tried to do some creepy themed snacks.
These ideas were found at Family Fun. I altered things slightly, but for the most part love their ideas!

Mummy Bones
Made with typical roll/bread/breadstick dough. Roll the dough into long rectangles, and using kitchen shears, cut about 1 1/2" in on each side. Twist and turn to make "balls". Sprinkle with kosher salt and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
I love how these turned out! Gnarly and twisted looking!

Witches fingers
I used string cheese, with I cut in half. Cut out a small section for the "nailbed", and carve out knuckle creases. Fill the nailbed with soft cream cheese and make a "nail" from any type of veggie. [I used black olives, but you could use red or green peppers, carrots, tomatoes, etc.]

Monster Eye balls
Not the healthiest, but we decided to do one treat because it's a holiday!
Make basic cake balls, or buy store bought donut holes. Spear each ball with a plastic fork [I used coffee stirrers, because I didn't have any plastic forks], and dip in melted white chocolate. Before the chocolate hardens, place a chocolate chip, point side in, for the cornea. [You could also use mini m&ms]. Put in the fridge to harden.

Using red decorating icing, or tinted white chocolate, squiggly on the red slimey bits. This was Cammo's favorite part!

Technically not recipes, but something fun for the kids! The dudes LOVED these! I think we'll remake the fingers and breadsticks for halloween lunch or dinner!!

4 comments:

  1. cute! I had a dream that we were hanging out together, it was fun ;) It makes me think that we should really hang out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Well, duh. We would have fun together. We totally should! It's silly that we don't/haven't. Give me a jingle any time. I'm game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know what we should do?? Get together during the day and cook with our kids! Huh? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late comment -- SO FUN!!! I can only dream of being such a cool mom.

    ReplyDelete