Friday, November 13, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup


I debated about not even posting a picture, but then it feels naked. Sorry for the craptastic picture. Taking pictures in the kitchen, when it's dark outside, with flourescent lighting= not a good combo.

But who cares. The soup is freaking tasty, so that's all that matters. My house is in full-blown soup mode, right now. I have recipes waiting to be posted for minestrone, broccoli cheddar, creamy chicken & wildrice... Soup is a good, good thing.

I started making this soup after I had my first baby. I was working my way into the world of "cooking", and trying to learn and teach myself things. This soup was based on the [in]famous taco soup that was [is?] popular at that time. I wanted something with chicken, and I wanted it more loose, and less "Welcome to the church potluck." After some tweakage, this is what I came up with.

*This recipe is very, very versatile. For instance: Chris hates beans. I, however, love beans. I love black beans in this soup. So sometimes I make them without, sometimes I make a big batch, and seperate it into two, and add different [good] stuff to my soup, and leave his alone. You can add pretty much anything, as long as the base stays the same.

Serve this soup with sour cream [serve on top, and then mix to balance the flavors], cheddar cheese, diced avocado, green onion, black olives, or tortilla chips. [I prefer fat free sour cream and avocado. Chris and Mason dig it with cheese & chips. Camden likes it with sour cream, cheese, chips and black olives.]

[Also great with homemade tortilla strips instead of store bought chips.]
Depending on what you top your soup with, it's very healthy and budget friendly! I'm so multi-faceted, you have no idea!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • olive oil
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • ground cumin
  • 2 [14.5] oz. cans chicken broth [or 4 cups of water mixed with Shirley J chicken bouillon]
  • 1 c. frozen corn [a great way to use the stuff you froze from summer!]
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1-2 T. lemon juice [fresh is best]
  • 1 c. chunky salsa
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes, or rotel
  • optional: black beans, kidney beans, etc.
  1. Boil the chicken in chicken stock or water until cooked through. [I like to season the water/broth with spices to give the chicken more flavor.] Shred the chicken and set aside. [Or use leftover rotisserie chicken.] If you don't want to boil the chicken, you can saute it in the oil with the onions until cooked through.
  2. In a large pot, over medium heat, saute the onions in the oil until tender. Add the cooked chicken for the last minute or so. Add minced garlic and cumin. [I don't measure my cumin, I add it until when I stir everything you can see it slightly coat all of the chicken. I'd guess at least 1 tsp.maybe more!]
  3. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes, making sure not to cook the garlic.
  4. Pour in chicken broth, canned tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cayenne [if using], lemon juice and salsa. [Also add anything else you are using, ie: black beans, etc.]
  5. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
  6. Serve soup with desired toppings.



3 comments:

  1. um, ok, how do you make homemade tortilla strips??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess...semi-homeade? No need to buy lard and make your own tortilla dough!!

    If you buy uncooked tortillas, cut them before you cook them. They broil them in the oven sprinkled with salt.

    If you buy precooked tortillas, cut them into strips, spray them with non-cook spray, broil them and then sprinkle with salt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annalee is the best cook ever! - Niki

    ReplyDelete