I debated about not even posting a picture, but then it feels naked. Sorry for the craptastic picture. Taking pictures in the kitchen, when it's dark outside, with flourescent lighting= not a good combo.
But who cares. The soup is freaking tasty, so that's all that matters. My house is in full-blown soup mode, right now. I have recipes waiting to be posted for minestrone, broccoli cheddar, creamy chicken & wildrice... Soup is a good, good thing.
I started making this soup after I had my first baby. I was working my way into the world of "cooking", and trying to learn and teach myself things. This soup was based on the [in]famous taco soup that was [is?] popular at that time. I wanted something with chicken, and I wanted it more loose, and less "Welcome to the church potluck." After some tweakage, this is what I came up with.
*This recipe is very, very versatile. For instance: Chris hates beans. I, however, love beans. I love black beans in this soup. So sometimes I make them without, sometimes I make a big batch, and seperate it into two, and add different [good] stuff to my soup, and leave his alone. You can add pretty much anything, as long as the base stays the same.
Serve this soup with sour cream [serve on top, and then mix to balance the flavors], cheddar cheese, diced avocado, green onion, black olives, or tortilla chips. [I prefer fat free sour cream and avocado. Chris and Mason dig it with cheese & chips. Camden likes it with sour cream, cheese, chips and black olives.]
[Also great with homemade tortilla strips instead of store bought chips.]
Depending on what you top your soup with, it's very healthy and budget friendly! I'm so multi-faceted, you have no idea!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- ground cumin
- 2 [14.5] oz. cans chicken broth [or 4 cups of water mixed with Shirley J chicken bouillon]
- 1 c. frozen corn [a great way to use the stuff you froze from summer!]
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 T. lemon juice [fresh is best]
- 1 c. chunky salsa
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, or rotel
- optional: black beans, kidney beans, etc.
- Boil the chicken in chicken stock or water until cooked through. [I like to season the water/broth with spices to give the chicken more flavor.] Shred the chicken and set aside. [Or use leftover rotisserie chicken.] If you don't want to boil the chicken, you can saute it in the oil with the onions until cooked through.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, saute the onions in the oil until tender. Add the cooked chicken for the last minute or so. Add minced garlic and cumin. [I don't measure my cumin, I add it until when I stir everything you can see it slightly coat all of the chicken. I'd guess at least 1 tsp.maybe more!]
- Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes, making sure not to cook the garlic.
- Pour in chicken broth, canned tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cayenne [if using], lemon juice and salsa. [Also add anything else you are using, ie: black beans, etc.]
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup with desired toppings.