Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pumpkin Supreme




I generally like to avoid dishes that are made with whipped topping [aka: cool whip] and jello. It just feels so....pedestrian? Utahn? I don't know!

However, there are times where I make exceptions. I've had this recipe sitting in my "to try" pile for a long, long time. I had to take a dessert to a Halloween party, and I had a ton of pumpkin to use up, so I decided to give this a whirl.

Comments that followed: "This is better than pumpkin pie!" "Ooooooh. This is soooooo goooood."

The graham cracker crust and cheese cake layer are something different. It pairs nicely with the light, cinnamon/nutmeg flavor of the pumpkin layer.

Pumpkin Supreme
  • 1 3/4 c. graham cracker crumbs [reduced fat/low sugar is fine!]
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. butter, melted [gulp]
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened [light is fine!]
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 2 pkgs. sugar free vanilla instant pudding mix [3 3/4 oz. size]
  • 1 c. milk
  • 2 c. cooked, mashed pumpkin [or 16 oz can]
  • ground cinnamon
  • ground nutmeg
  • 12 oz. cool whip, thawed [fat free/light works great]
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Make graham cracker crumbs in food processor, this works best to get the right texture. Combine cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar and butter. Press into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
  3. Combine cream cheese, eggs, and sugar. Beat until fluffy. Spread over crust. Bake for 25 minutes. [Bake until center is close to being set. Jiggle the pan, and if the middle moves a lot, keep baking!] Cool.
  4. Combine pudding mix and milk. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed with electric mixer. Add pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well. Fold in half of the cool whip. Spread over the cooled cream cheese layer.
  5. Cover with remaining cool whip.
  6. Refrigerate.

*I didn't measure my cinnamon and nutmeg. I just sprinkled it in, tasted it, and added more until it was right. You won't need a TON, just enough to give it some flavor. I'd guess I used about 1/2 tsp. of each. Maybe more, maybe less. How is that for vague?

4 comments:

  1. i don't want to make this (ie: i'd probably screw it up), but can you make it for me to eat?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Shirley J as well! And I can hardly wait to try this recipe. I'm new at blogging and am learning a LOT from reading good blogs like yours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, SOMETIMES there's you just want a foolproof crowd-pleaser! And this really is it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great food, i love sweet foods. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete