Tuesday, January 5, 2010

[Texas] Sheet Cake



Now I'm wondering why Texas gets all the credit?  I don't know if everyone calls it "Texas" sheet cake, or what makes that different from just "sheet cake".  I have just always called it that, so that's what it's called.  [How about that for rationalization?]

If I had to pick, I'd think that this is one of Chris' favorite desserts.  If I ever have to make a dessert for something, he always says "What about Texas sheet cake?"  

It's the cinnamon, I tell ya.

Texas Sheet Cake
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 c. butter
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/4 c. good quality cocoa
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk*
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Icing:
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 6 T. milk
  • 1/4 c. good quality cocoa
  • 1 lb. powdered sugar
  1. Sift sugar, flour, salt and cocoa together.  In saucepan, blend butter with water over low heat, until butter melts.  Pour hot liquid over flour mixture and beat.  Add soda to *buttermilk [I rarely have buttermilk on hand, so I mix a splash of lemon juice or vinegar with the milk, and let it sit until it curdles a bit]; beat in eggs.  Add cinnamon.  Add to cocoa mixture, combine. 
  2. Pour into a well greased jelly roll pan [I use my cookie sheet that has an edge].
  3. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. 
  4. For icing, sift cocoa and sugar [this is important so your icing dries smooth without little lumps of sugar].  Melt butter with the milk in a saucepan, then pour over cocoa mixture, beating until smooth. 
  5. When cake comes out of oven, pour frosting over it immediately.

3 comments:

  1. Anna....I am so glad you posted this. I LOVE Texas Sheet Cake. I mean LOVE !!! I made this once so many times in a row for Sunday dinners my family begged me to make something else. I can't wait to try this recipe!!!
    (btw...I will email Chris my email address)

    ReplyDelete