Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Marshmallow Fondant


I really should leave this kind of stuff to Duff and Ace of Cakes.  I have no business in this arena, none at all.

My little Cam-a-rama asked for a space party, so a space party he got.  I had grand visions of his crater cake in my head....and well, that grand vision will live and die in my head, because it clearly didn't ever see the light of day. 

Regardless of my inability to decorate this cake, I was able to make a killer fondant.  I'm not a fan of fondant at all, I think it is gross and intimidating.  When making this cake I decided to make a homemade marshmallow fondant, to try and knock out both of those stereotypes.  In the end, it's still kind of gross [okay, maybe not gross, but tooth rotting sweet], but it was SO easy and not at all intimidating! 

[This recipe can easily be cut in half!]

Marshmallow Fondant


  • 2 c. mini marshmallows [cram them into the measuring cup, so that it at the right measurement when you have them squished down, when you let go, it will look like more than you need.]

  • 2 T. water

  • 2 1/2 c. [+/-] powdered sugar

  1. In a microwave safe bowl, add your marshmallows and water.  Microwave for about 25 seconds [maybe 30], until marshmallows look puffy and slightly wet.

  2. Coat a plastic mixing spoon with a bit of Pam or shortening, mix in powdered sugar.  It will look like it won't mix at first, but it will!!  Mix, mix, mix!  Mix until you have a "ball" formed. 

  3. Pour out onto a surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar [you can lay out some parchment or do it right on your table].  Spray your hands with Pam/shortening.

  4. Knead!  Knead until it comes together.  If it is sticky, knead a little more powdered sugar at a time until you have the right consistancy.  If it is a little dry add a little water and microwave it for 10 seconds, then knead somemore!
That's it!  To color your fondant, add in a bit of color [I prefer these, a little goes a long way, and the color is amazing] using a toothpick, then knead the color in.  It will take a bit of work to get it evenly distributed, but it's worth it!  [I left the color in mine a little streaky, because I was making a crater---I wanted it to have dimension.  But what do I know, did you see my sorry cake?!]

To roll out your fondant, roll it between 2 sheets of parchment lightly dusted with powdered sugar.  Don't roll to thin, or it will tear!

**The stars and aliens on my cake were made with gumpaste, not fondant!  However, you could easily use fondant!  Just roll it out to desired thickness, cut with your desired shape, and leave them to dry for a few days. 

***I also gave my stars and aliens some shimmer with shimmer dust, which I did after they had dried. 

Now, go forth and cover the world with marshmallow fondant. 


2 comments:

  1. See? It's so cute! I told you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed. You are amazing to attempt this. The cake looks great!!! Really! That whole fondant business is way to tricksy for me...but your recipe makes me want to give it a try. Well done!

    ReplyDelete