Monday, March 29, 2010

Pineapple Chicken Curry


My husband and I have a deep love for pineapple curry.  In fact, nearly any Thai food has a deep slotted space in my heart.  Dumplings and curry might be on the menu every week if I weren't so concerned about becoming the fat kid. 

There is a little thai place where my husband and I get take out.  After we've tucked the littles into bed and sound asleep, my husband sneaks out and picks out our take-out order.  I've mentioned before that I really don't like to eat out.  I hate wasting money, especially on sub-par craptastic, unhealthy food. 

That's where this food differs:  The servings are so big, that my husband and I get one order of pineapple chicken curry and one order of dumplings, and it feeds us both for at least 2 meals.  And costs us $9.  The healthy part?  Well.  It isn't the greatest, but I like to pretend it is.  Have you seen how tiny thai people are?!  They didn't get that way eating American fare, promise you that!!


So, I decided to try and recreate our favorite pineapple curry.  It still needs some tweaking, but this is still really good!! 

**Recipe updated and changed 10/01/10

Pineapple Chicken Curry
  • 2 chicken breasts, diced
  • 1 T. oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2"-3/4" of ginger grated [I keep mine in the freezer, it keeps longer, and grates REALLY easy, then literally melts into dishes]
  • 1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon
  • 2 T. +/- curry powder, I used a little bit more
  • 1 can coconut milk*
  • 1 c. + pineapple chunks [I like more, so I'd dare say I might add the whole freakin' can], drained, reserve the juice
  • 2 shredded carrots
  • 1bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 small can bamboo shoots
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook oil, onions, garlic and ginger.  Keep heat medium, not high, and be careful not to burn the garlic.  Saute until tender.
  2. Add chicken, bouillon and curry powder.  I add enough curry powder to make sure it coats everything.  This also depends on the kind of  curry powder you use!  Be careful, you don't want to burn out your insides!  Cook until chicken is browned and well coated.
  3. Add coconut milk, pineapple and some of the reserved pineapple juice.  This is where I stop measuring!  We like it a lot saucier, so I'll often add more coconut milk.  Add coconut milk/pineapple juice until you get your desired consistancy.  Some people like "drier" curries.  I, however, prefer a soupy curry.  [Often if I add more milk/juice, I find that I have to add a little more curry powder to balance it out.  Go by taste.
  4. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add carrots, red peppers, bamboo shoots, and cilantro; simmer for about 5 minutes.  [Adding more milk/pineapple juice if necessary.]
  5. Serve over basmati rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment