Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pistachio "Bread"

...Once again, no picture.  I did find the cord to my camera, but can't figure out how to get the pictures off.  Someday my ruggedly handsome husband will help me, but in the meantime, you'll have to use your imagination.

I'll try to update with an actual picture soon, it's a cool looking "bread", if you are into bright green foods. 

Really, this isn't a bread, it's a cake in drag.  This isn't healthy, although I could probably make it over to be better [aka: from scratch], but I won't, because I make it one time a year...if that!

This is a recipe that I have been making for a long time.  I don't remember where I got it, but I haven't changed anything about it.  Back in my 9 to 5 days, I used to make this and bring it in to work on St. Patricks day.  Sadly, I don't think I've made it since I had kids!!

I decided to dust off the recipe today, so my kids can have some [strangely green, over-processed, unhealthy] "St. Pattys 'bread'" tomorrow.  It uses a cake mix, it uses food coloring, yeah, I know.  Not normally something I make [anymore], but I figure one time won't make them grow horns!  ...I hope.

Pistachio Bread
  • 1 pkg. yellow cake mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 c. vegetable oil
  • 2 T. water
  • 1 (3oz) pkg. instant pistachio pudding mix
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp. green food coloring [or use the wilton kind like I do]
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 T. sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 2 9x5" loaf pans. 

Mix together cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, water, sour cream and food coloring until well combined.  Pour into pans, dividing evenly between them. 

In a small bowl, combine cinnamon & sugar.  Sprinkle the top of each loaf.  Bake for 45 minutes.  [I don't use all of the cinnamon/sugar, probably about 3/4 of it.]

No comments:

Post a Comment