Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Shortcake.

Not the best picture, but keep in mind I was balancing this on a paper plate, while serving it up, and trying not to get blueberries all over my awesomely white shirt.  You can say it: I've got skillz.


So.  Do you want to know something about me?  I am CRAZY about the 4th of July.  It is one of, if not my FAVORITE holiday.  I absolutely LOVE it.  Of course, because Memorial Day is kind of [in a round about way] like the 4th of July, it's like a practice day for me. 

I was in charge of dessert [one of my favorite things to be in charge of...other than salads, and breads, and drinks, and main course], and I knew exactly what I wanted to do!  Shortcake [shaped like stars, of course], with strawberries, blueberry sauce, and cream.  Um, hello, awesome? Yes.  Original?  Probably not, so what?!

I made a big batch of blueberry sauce Sunday night, and used it for pancakes Monday morning, and saved the rest for the shortcakes.  [P.S. I made a new blueberry pancake recipe and it's freaking awesome.]

Shortcake
Could actually be classified as a "cream scone", this is not like your traditional "Bisquick" shortcake.  And I'll pretend you weren't thinking it was.  Thanks.

*This will make about 8 shortcakes---I 1 and a halfed it, and it was great.
  • 2 c. all purpose flour [you might need a little more, but start with 2]
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 c. cold, unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 c. cream or half and half
  • raw sugar
Egg wash:
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 T. cream
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and place rack in the middle of the oven.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper. 
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into flour mixture with pastry blender or using 2 knives.  [Alternately, you could pulse in a food processor.]  The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, egg and vanilla.  Add to the flour mixture and mix until it just comes together.  Don't overmix.
  4. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently about 4 or 5 times.  If the dough is still pretty sticky, this is the point where I need in a little more flour if it needs it. 
  5. Pat or roll the dough into a circle [about 7 inches around and 1 inch thick].  With a 3 inch round cookie cutter, cut out scones and place on baking sheet.  Clearly, I used stars---you could use any shape you please.  If you want a more orgainc presentation, you could just "plop" the dough in scoops onto the baking sheet.  Continue until you are out of dough.
  6. Make eggwash using beaten egg and cream.  Brush the top of each scone/shortcake.  Sprinkle with raw sugar.
  7. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick comes out clean.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Strawberry Filling:

Wash, hull and slice strawberries [I used 2 pounds].Take 1/3 of the strawberries and mash with a potato masher.  Add the rest of the strawberries, along with sugar [1/4-1/3 cup depending on how sweet your berries are], mix together and cover and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.  It's best if you let it set for a while.

*To serve: I sliced my shortcakes open, but if you don't want to you don't have to.  I served one fruit in the middle [strawberries] and then put the top on and poured the blueberry sauce over the top.  Of course, you can use all strawberries, or be creative with other fruits.

Or, you can hide in the pantry and just eat the shortcakes.  I won't judge.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fab-u-lous! I am all about serving my shortcake on scones. I love the combination of strawberries and blueberries- what a great summer recipe!

    ReplyDelete