Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream








Chocolate-peanut butter anything reminds me of my sister, so this one is for her.  In fact, I have memories of going to Baskin Robbins when I was little, my older sister Merilee and I would get horrible flavors like "bubble gum", and I remember specifically that my other sister, Emily, would get things like Mississippi Mud [chocolate peanut butter].  We would mock her endlessly.  What child skips over flavors like BUBBLE GUM to get Mississippi Mud?! 

A smart one, apparently.

After the birth of her first child, instead of taking flowers to the hospital, I took Reeses PB cups.  That's how serious her addiction is.

Em, this one is for you!
[And for the record, even though I don't really eat sugar anymore, I DID try this.  And died a little.]

A-mazing.


David Lebovitz knows what he is talking about!!

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Taken from "Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz


  • 2 c. half and half

  • 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder

  • 1/2 c. sugar

  • pinch of salt

  • 1/2 c. smooth peanut butter

  1. Whisk together the half-and-half, cocoa powder, sugar and salt in a large saucepan.  Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil [it will start to foam up].  Remove from the heat and whisk in the peanut butter, stirring until thoroughly blended.

  2. Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions. 

  3. *This makes 1 quarts, so I 1 1/2'ed it to get 1 1/2 quarts.
Mix Ins:
I think this is what makes the ice cream so amazing!!

Fudge Ripple:

  • 1/2 c. sugar

  • 1/3 c. light  corn syrup

  • 1/2 c. water

  • 6 T. unsweetened cocoa

  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

  1. Whisk together the sugar, corn syrup, water and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan.  HEat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble at the edges.

  2. Continue to whisk until it just comes to a low boil.  Cook for 1 minute, whisking frequently.  Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla, and let cool.  Chill in the refrigerator before using.
*This will make WAY more fudge ripple than you need, but you can store it for 2 weeks, and use it as a hot fudge topping. 

Peanut Butter "Patties"

  • 6 T. peanut butter {I used smooth---and don't use natural PB here, it will be too runny}

  • 2-3 T. powdered sugar

  1. Mix together the peanut butter and powdered sugar in a small bowl.  [Add more sugar if you need to!]  Line a dinner plate with plastic wrap.  Pinch off small pieces of the peanut butter mixture, about 1/2 teaspoon each, and drop them onto the dinner plate.  Once you've used all of the mixture, freeze the patties.
Once the ice cream has frozen in the ice cream maker, mix in the peanut butter patties and layer with desired amount of fudge ripple [I didn't use too much], in a container.  Freeze until solid.


No comments:

Post a Comment