Wednesday, July 28, 2010

snack/sandwich bags



Don't you love my new "green" ziploc sandwich/snack bags?!

I'll just say this:  I was green before green was cool.  In fact, when I was in college [um, several years ago...], I remember taking old cloth bags into the bookstore to buy my books with.  Then, at one point, I was super inventive, and made reusable cloth bags using old t-shirts.  [In fact, I still have a ton of those that my little midgets use when they play grocery store!] People looked at me like I had 10 heads.  But really, they probably did that for a lot of reasons, and not just my bags.  [Did you know I had purple, er, excuse me "eggplant" colored hair?  I had a pierced tongue? Yeah, I was wicked awesome.  And I will never mention it again, and might have burned all evidence so my children NEVER see it.]

My favorite reusable bags are Chico bags, by far.  I have probably 30, and I really need to get some more, since mine are SO hammered.

However:  Amongst all of my forward thinking and green living, I haven't been able to shake the Ziploc bag!  Don't get me wrong, they are fabulous.  But also insanely wasteful!  Think of a standard packed lunch: a bag for the sandwich, then one for the pretzels, then one for the cookies, then one for the carrots, then one for the apple slices [because, well, when you are 7 years old, and have 43 loose teeth, you can't bite into a whole apple!].  You get my drift! 

I've tried several "green" solutions, and none of them have stuck for very long.  Either they were too expensive, or not user friendly. 

Enter my awesome handmade reusable "ziploc" bags!

I made 4 of them today [2 sandwich size and 2 snack bag size] in less than 1/2 hour.  They are lined with a foodsafe ripstop nylon---so they can easily be wiped out, or even thrown in the washer!  Plus, as an added bonus, they are super stylish, depending on the fabric you use!  They close with hook and loop [velcro]!  Obviously, after a ton of use, the velcro will probably be shoddy, but I can replace it or make new ones! 

Man, I amaze even myself. 

Now, I should probably go make some cookies to put in the bags.  Then, maybe, just maybe, I can talk my husband into taking one to work tomorrow.  I know he'll be the hippest guy at work, and all the other work guys [and girls] will be jealous.  Then, they'll want some cool reusable ziploc bags.

Then I'll be famous. 

Wow, I've got a lot to get done before that happens.

[No, but really, I'm happy to post a tutorial on how to make them if anyone is interested.  Or, of course, you can buy them from me when I'm famous.  Either or.]


3 comments:

  1. I'm interested. They are super cool.

    I live Chico bags too, I keep 4 of them in my purse.

    ReplyDelete