Tuesday, August 17, 2010

busy, busy, busy!

I love when you can turn this:



into this with just a little work.  [...and the help of a wii, which you normally loathe, but it entertains two boy midgets so I can make a mess in the kitchen!]


Aren't they beautiful? I absolutely love the color of homemade raspberry jam!

Thanks to my mom for teaching me the beautiful art of canning things.  It seems like just yesterday that I used to roll my eyes at the things my mom did.  Certainly I wouldn't ever care about canning/bottling/gardening and even sewing!  That's positively archaic and so 1950's housewife.  I will not be demeaned like that!  Hear me roar.

Or so I thought.  I've learned that there is something very liberating in being able to do these things yourself.  "Damn the Man!" if you will.  If you look at it that way, it's very liberating and not at all barefoot and pregnant.  It's all your perspective, I suppose.

So.  Thanks Mom.  Thanks for being cool well before your time. Thanks for all re-teaching me all of the domestic skills that I refused to want to learn during my rebellious and slightly taboo youth.  I get it now. 

Other than making homemade raspberry jam [and working on jalapeno jelly later this week, and salsa, as soon as my tomatoes are ready...which should be next week...], I've been a freaking maniac behind the sewing machine.  [Another skill I mocked.  Again, I get it.]

So far this week:
Cases for our ipod touches.  I left a little room so the ear plugs and charging cords could fit inside as well.  I used a thin cotton batting to give them some protection, but not too much bulk.

Mine.  I freaking love this fabric.  I'm hoarding more if it, I just don't know what to do with it yet.  I also covered the button to match the fabric. 
My husbands.  He asked for fabric that was a little more manly.  Is this more manly?? [I also love this fabric.  I kind of want to marry Riley Blake.]  I also ditched the button and used touch tape on his. 


Just finished this pillow [made the case as well].  I just haven't bought a pillow form to put inside of it yet.  I LOVE this, it was super easy, and look awesome.  Probably better in person than in this picture.  I used wool felt [not the cheap kind] for the flower. 


Trick or treat bags for the midgets!  LOVE the fabric [Riley Blake again]!  These were a lot of fun to make.  The lining inside the bags matches the fabric on the handles.  You can't tell by the picture, but they have a "box pleat" bottom, so they stay open.  The kids are really excited about them. 



...And this, is why I haven't posted on this blog!  I'm going to work on making a step by step tutorial for the reusable ziploc bags later this week.  Just in time for back-to-school {*sniff*}. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Annalee. It's Michelle Cisneros from the ward. Just found your blog. Love it. Everything looks DELICIOUS. You are one of those wonder womans. Anyways- please show a tutorial of your reusable ziploc baggies. I want some!!!! I can't/really don't like to cook, but I do like to attempt to sew here and there! Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am excited for the reusable bags too! All the sewing looks great. I'm excited to can pears when we get back in town

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo I need to do trick or treat bags, thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude. i will buy that pillow, too. white and grey, please. seriously. can i hire you?

    ReplyDelete