Monday, August 23, 2010

Cookie Bars/Cookie Pizza



Yesterday afternoon, my dudes and I were trying to figure out what kind of treat to make for our big "Back to School Family Night" last night.  It seemed like everyone wanted something different, and we were also limited to what I had on hand [to say I was in dire need of going grocery shopping would be an understatement!]. 

In the end, we decided to try a cookie bar.  Instead of baking it in a pan, we decided to go for a pizza pan, which the kids totally loved!  It didn't make it taste any different, but to them it was very cool. 

My husband didn't have high hopes for this.  He's very picky about his cookie/treats and LOVES the chocolate chip cookies I make.  However, I think we won him over.  After the kids were in bed last night, I kept catching him slicing off more.  Eventually he looked at me, with his hand full of cookie and said, "These are good!" 
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars/Cookie Pizza

  • 2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2/3 c. unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 c. chocolate chip [we used 1 c. mini m&m's and 1 c. milk chocolate chips]
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan, or a pizza pan.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
  3. In another large bowl, combine the melted butter and brown sugar, stirring until smooth.  Stir in the vanilla.  Allow the mixture to cool slightly.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.  Stir in the flour mixture, then the chocolate chips.  Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
  4. Bake the bars for 24-26 minutes, until their top is shiny and golden.  Don't overbake, or the bars will be dry; a cake tester inserted into the center WILL NOT come out clean.  Remove the bars from the oven and cool to room temperature before cutting.
Enjoy!  My little dudes loved these.  Maybe next time I will let them decorate the top! 

1 comment:

  1. hey, i'm in search of a new c.chip cookie recipe-- I gave up my tried and true because I'm not wanting to use shortening, can I get yours?

    ReplyDelete