Sunday, August 22, 2010

reusable ziploc bag

I finally have this done.  It would have been up Friday, but I have been having serious issues getting pictures to post!

Reusable Ziplocs

You will need:

-fabric [cotton is great]
-ripstop nylon
-3/4 inch SEWABLE velcro [do NOT get the kind that is sticky on the back, trust me!]
-obvious things like a sewing machine, thread...
FINAL BAG DIMENSIONS:
Big bag: 6.5" x 7"
Medium bag: 6.5" x 5.5"
Small/snack size bag: 6.5" x 3.5"

CUTTING DIMENSIONS: [For both fabric AND nylon]

Big bag: 14" x  8"
Medium bag: 11.5" x 8"
Small/snack size bag: 8" x 8"

*The measurements can easily be altered to suit the size that you need, feel free to change them up.  I am in the process of making some big [think gallon size] bags, these are just estimations---it isn't surgery, so don't stress over exactness!

Velcro:
7" --- if you change the measurements above, just alter your velcro accordingly.

This is the velcro you want!  See where it says "sew on"?!  That's really important!  You do not want velcro with adhesive on the back---this will break your needle and make you swear. 




Let's begin!  I took a lot of pictures, which is in NO way an indication of how hard this is.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  If you can push a gas pedal, you can totally make these! 


Begin by cutting your outer fabric and your nylon.  For the purposes of this tutorial, I am making the small/snack sized bag.  Also, at this point, measure and cut your velcro as well. 

Now, take your outside fabric and your nylon and pin them RIGHT SIDES together.  [This is the wrong side of my fabric.]


Me and my freaky ET fingers are showing you that I pinned the nylon on the back.  See, there it is. 


Using a 1/4" seam allowance [and remembering to back stitch to secure stitches], sew the short sides together.  Only sew 2 sides, not the whole thing!



Now, turn that bad boy so the right side is out [wrong sides now together]. 


Now, it's totally possible that once you turn it right side out, that the nylon will be all wonky like this.  No worries.


Enter super-long freaky fingers [yours will work fine if you don't have access to mine].  Just press down the seam as best you can.  Again, you don't really want to iron it, unless you want a hot-melty mess.  Just smash it down with your fingers.  Or, if you have those super long glittery  nails that are all the rage these days, use those!



I don't think I have a future as a hand model or a finger model.  Oh well.  Now, fold your bag in half and press down to get a nice line.  I do this both ways [long and short], to find the center of your bag.  This will help you to get your velcro centered.  You don't have to do this.  I'm just super anal about having things centered and straight and right and alphabetized and in order.


Center your velcro on the top [the sewn edge] and the bottom.  [Obviously, at this point, you've separated the velcro!]  Pin in place. 


See, top and bottom all pinned on.  [The top looks uneven, but the velcro just had a kink in it from storage.]


Stitch along the edge on the LONG sides only of the velcro, leave the short edges alone.  [I like to use a coordinating thread color---this helps things looks more "professional".]  Do this on both sides.  [So you will sew 4 long edges of the velcro.]


This is what it should look like at this point.


Now close it up, sealing the velcro together. 


Your velcro should meet up, and be even and centered.  Notice how the sides are still now sewen together.  We'll do that now.


Sew the outside edges together using a 1/4" seam---wrong sides together, with the right side of the fabric facing you.  This seems backwards, I know, but hang with me. [Remember to backstitch!]


Once you've done that on both sides, trim the excess fabric as close as you can to the seam---be careful not to cut the seam!


Now, unhook your velcro and turn it inside out [or right sides together].  Use something to help you get the corners nice and sharp.  I used my super favorite tool.  It's actually for paper, but I've never been able to find one at a sewing store that I liked.  I found this one at a craft store with the scrapbooking stuff, and I looooove it. 


See?  It's pretty awesome.  If you don't have one of these, use anything---a knitting needle, pen, whatev.


Totally don't know why I took this picture.  Maybe to show you the whole thing turned inside out??  I didn't realize this was such a complicated step.



Now, sew the sides with a 1/4" seam.  Again, don't forget that pesky backstitch.  Do this with both sides, obviously.


Now, turn it right side out.  Again, be sure to get the corners and edges straight and crisp.


And that's it!  You now have the worlds cutest and easy to make reusable ziploc baggie!! 

Feel free to email me or leave a comment if you have any questions or problems!

6 comments:

  1. very very cool-- I'll definitely have to try that, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are simply amazing. These are so cute and functional. Can't wait to make them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait. does this mean i have to make my own. just 'cause you made kick ass directions doesn't mean I can do it...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah Jess, I'll still make yours for you---I'll do it when I make your pillow [grey, right?] and felt food! I'm like your own personal little sweat shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anna- Great post! :)
    I feature you on my blog! Check it out :)

    http://justine-obsessivecreativedisorder.blogspot.com/2011/09/reusable-ziploc-bag.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a very good site, well constructed and very interesting i have bookmarked you, hopefully you keep posting new stuff, many thanks
    produce table

    ReplyDelete