Thursday, October 7, 2010

Balsamic Glazed Drumsticks

Yesterday I learned that my kids are sheltered.  Like, really, seriously sheltered. 

They had no idea that chicken came ON THE BONE.  Mason kept asking me, "Okay, I get it, but how did you MAKE it?"  I kept telling him that you buy it like this, it comes like this [I can't go too far into the "It came off the chicken" without puking in my mouth].  He kept saying, "Okay, I get it.  BUT HOW DID YOU MAKE IT ON THE BONE?!"

Then Camden asked me, "Oh, wow. Cool, are these DOG BONES inside?"

Yoikes.  Lesson learned.  And here I thought I was doing a good job of exposing them to all kinds of food, cultures, etc.  Obviously not.


This recipe is based on a recipe by our clevage baring gal, Giada de Laurentiis.  [As a tip:  If you bear your cleavage, your food tastes better.  Or at least your husband will think so.  Giada has years of culinary tv based solely on this fact.]  Not that I'm jealous.

This recipe is fantastic.  It's fairly foolproof, really easy, and economical.  I didn't realize [obviously, because I never buy them], how cheap chicken drumsticks are!  I got a huge package for $4 --- @ .89 cents a pound. 

Balsamic Glazed Drumsticks
  • 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • molasses
  • 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
  • 5 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
  • 12-14 chicken drumsticks [Giada calls them drumettes--I feel stupid doing that.   Maybe if I wore a lower cut shirt??]
  • 2 T. toasted sesame seeds
  • chopped parsley
  1. Combine the balsamic, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce and a splash of molasses.  Whisk to combine.  Take the sprigs of rosemary and kind of "beat them up" at bit--smash, twist, etc.  This will help to release more of the flavor.  I find if you don't do this, the rosemary taste is pretty much non-existent.  Add rosemary and garlic halves to the sauce.
  2. Add chicken drumsticks into a large resealable plastic bag, pour sauce over the top.  Seal bag and shake around to combine.  Let marinate in fridge for at least 2 hours [I did most of the day].  Throughout the day, continue to rotate, shake and mix up the bag so the marinade coats all of the chicken.
  3. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Place the chicken on a foil lined [don't skip this step!] baking sheet.  Bake until the skin is carmalized and very dark in spots, about 30 to 35 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, place the marinade in a small saucepan.  [At this point, I remove the garlic, mince it and add it back in you don't have to do this, but it will increase the garlic flavor].  Bring to a full rolling boil---this is VERY important.  You MUST do this to kill any bacteria from the chicken.  Continue to boil [not on high, but a constant bubble], until the sauce has reduced and is nice and thick.  Remove rosemary.  [This should take about 15 minutes.]
  5. Remove the chicken from the oven, and using a pastry brush, brush chicken with the thick sauce.  Place chicken on platter and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped parsley.
[Great served with asparagus or broccoli!]

3 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at this post!!!! So funny! I miss seeing those cuties.

    Quick question, what is the Thai restaurant that you and Chris like to get take out from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! Thanks for posting this, I'll have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bri--

    I can't remember the name of it, how sad is that? There is a place up by Costco in Orem that is super good. The other place is down here...I will drive by it tomorrow, so I'll check out the name and get back to you! :)

    ReplyDelete