Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Beef and Broccoli


Sometimes, just sometimes I really love the crockpot.  On the flipside, sometimes, I really hate it as well.  It seems like most crockpot recipes taste the same, and have the same ingredients: Some type of meat, and some type of canned soup!  I'm just NOT a fan.

However, I love the convenience of it all.  I absolutely DREAD afternoons: kids get home from school [well, I love that part], but then we have homework, chores, making dinner, and the afternoon grumpies [my 2 year-old!].  It's just a chaotic, hectic time of day! [Even moreso when there is some type of sport practice or game!]

THAT is why I love the crockpot.  I use it more in the fall/winter, for obvious reasons.  This time I thought I'd try something different, maybe unexpected from a crock. 

My husband declares this one a winner!  So, if you don't like it, blame him, not me.


Crockpot Beef and Broccoli
  • 3 lbs. beef, cut into strips [I used top round steaks that were cut thin, then I sliced them into strips.  You could also use London Broil, etc.]
  • 1 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
  • 3/4-1 tsp. red pepper flakes [adjust according to your heat level]
  • 1/4 c. chicken broth [or beef broth, I can't remember which I used, whichever was closest]
  • 2 T. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. soy sauce
  • 3-4 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 T. cornstarch
  • 2 T. water
  • Garlic broccoli  [at least 3 cups fresh]
  • toasted sesame seeds [optional]
  • rice
  1. Whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, chicken broth, garlic, and red pepper flakes.  Place beef in the bottom of crock pot [sprayed with non-stick spray], pour sauce over the top of the meat and mix together to coat.
  2. Cook on low for 4-6 hours [for MY crockpot, it cooks very hot, you might have to adjust your cooking time]. 
  3. About 10 minutes before serving, prepare garlic broccoli.  Pour contents of crockpot into the pan with the broccoli.  Mix together cornstarch and water and add to pan.  Bring to a slight boil to thicken sauce.  If you need to at this point, you can add a bit more broth. 
  4. Once sauce has thickened, serve over rice and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

2 comments:

  1. I go back and forth with the crockpot as well. This looks great though, I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks good, i will have to try it out. i need to plan our meals for this week soon.

    ReplyDelete