Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Indian Butter Chicken



Holy freaking crap.

YUM.

I had to run a few extra miles just because of this!  But, it was so, completely and totally worth it.  [A super awesome Anna tip: when I make dishes like this, or curry, I only serve mine over like 1 or 2 Tablespoons of rice.  If you mix it all up, you won't miss the massive quantities of rice.  You still get the great flavor of the basmati rice, w/o glueing your insides together with starch.  I really try to watch the amount of starches, especially white starches that I eat.  Hey, every little bit counts.  Or, so says I.]

As a bonus, it was just as good, or even better the next day reheated---which I'm super picky about!!

Dang those Indian and Thai people and their good food.  It gets me every time!

Indian Butter Chicken
  • 4 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced [smart Indians]
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground corriander
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. cardamom
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 can [14.5 oz] diced tomatoes
  • 1 pint whipping cream
  • 1 bunch chopped cilantro [traditionally---my husband hates cilantro, so I used flat leaf parsley, or you could omit completely]
  • basmati rice [the best rice ever invented, I don't care what you say]
  1. Combine garlic, salt, peppers, corriander, cumin, cardamom and lime juice.  Pour over chicken and seal in a ziploc bag.  Toss to coat completely.  Let marinate overnight, or all day in the fridge.  [And your fridge will smell like garlic, but it's worth it!]
  2. In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the butter until soft.  Add marinated chicken and cook for about 10 minutes.
  3. Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.  Cook for 30 minutes over med-low heat with the lid on.  [I have accidentally added the cream at this point, and it still tastes fabulous, so either way is fine!]
  4. Add the cream and cilantro just before serving.
  5. Serve over basmati rice.
*This is a tiny bit spicy [I don't think so, but you might], you can adjust the spices accordingly.  Adding more cayenne pepper if you like it more spicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment