Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches





This recipe comes to you  via my sister.  I'm pretty lucky to be surrounded by sisters (and parents) that really know how to cook.  It's a great resource for new (and good) recipes!

I tried this on a whim one night last year, and it has become a family favorite ever since.  My little dudes LOVE when I make these....and included in those little dudes is my husband. 

This recipe makes a dozen dinner sized sandwiches...and I can promise you that you probably won't have any leftover.  It isn't the healthiest of dishes (admittedly), but it's a great go-to every once in a while.  It would also be great served with soup in the winter!

**When I make rolls, I save the other half of the dough in the freezer for these, or I'll bake a dozen rolls (just regular round rolls), and use them for the next night.  I bake them in a 9x13 glass pan, then reuse that same pan for this recipe.

Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
  • 12 dinner rolls (I guess you could use store bought, but.  Don't.)
  • 12 slices swiss cheese
  • 12 slices ham
  • mayonnaise
  1. Cut rolls in half, spread with a light smear of mayo.  Add folded piece of ham to the bottom half of the roll, place folded piece of cheese to the top of the roll.  Close roll and place in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
  • 1/2 T. poppy seeds
  • 1 stick (gulp) melted butter
  • 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 T. mustard
  1. Mix ingredients together.
  2. Using a spoon (or...I just mix mine in a liquid measuring cup and pour it out using that), pour mixture over the top of each roll. 
  3. Cover with foil.  Refrigerate for several hours, or overnight (I usually make them the night before, and keep them in the fridge until dinner). 
  4. Loosen foil (don't remove) before baking.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through. 
In fact, Mason has been requesting these, so I might have to add them to the next menu!  I had planned on making them for a big bash we're having at our house this Saturday, but in the end, I decided they were too messy for people to be eating while wandering around my house.  Greasy fingers galore!!

1 comment:

  1. those sound sooooo good. can you just make food for my family too?

    ReplyDelete