Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pie Dough

I'm pretty sure I've been promising to post this recipe for over a year!  Sadly, I finally remembered the day before Thanksgiving.  In "real" life, I'm ridiculously organized and scheduled, to the point where it becomes a major downfall.  If it isn't on my list, it most likely won't get done.

Posting this recipe never made it to my list.  But, you'll be happy to know that my spices are in alphabetical order, and the labels in my pantry are all facing the right way.  Hey, people, it's all about priorities!
Thankfully this recipe is pretty basic and straight forward, and you should have all of the ingredients on hand anyway! 

I had hoped to have a great picture, but I am making my pies this afternoon.  I have 2 little dudes who are very anxious to help make the pies.  Wish me luck!


This recipe is very similar to the one I use in the Rustic Apple Tart.  The difference is the addition of shortening which makes this crust more flakey, and more suitable for pies.

Happy Thanksgiving! 

Perfect Pie Dough
America's Test Kitchen
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 8 T. all-vegetable shortening, CHILLED
  • 12 T. unsalted buter, chilled, cut into 1/4" pieces
  • 6-8 T. ice water
  1. Pulse flour, salt and sugar in food processor until combined.  Add shortening and process until mixture has texture of coarse sand, about 10 seconds.  Scatter butter pieces over flour mixture; cut butter into flour until mixture is pale yellow and resembles coarse crumbs, with butter bits no larger than small peas, about ten 1-second pulses.  Turn mixture into medium bowl.
  2. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons ice water over mixture.  With a rubber spatula, fold water into flour mixture.  Press down on dough with broad side of spatula until dough sticks together, adding up to 2 tablespoons more ice water if it won't come together.  Divide dough into two balls and flatten each into 4-inch-wide disk.  Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour, or up to 2 days before rolling.
**I like to cut up my butter and shortening into pieces, and then place them in the freezer until I need them.  (Obviously, not long term, or you'd have bricks!)  But, I'll put them in the freezer right after I cut them, and while I'm working with the flour.  This will bring them back up to a cold temperature, because they tend to get warm as we work with them.  Cold butter/shortening are the key to a flakey crust!
Bake according to your pie recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! This will be my next intimidating homemade recipe I tackle! :)

    ReplyDelete