Monday, November 29, 2010

Pumpkin Rolls and Cinnamon Butter

Sorry for the craptastic photo.  I actually took this indoors, in the dark, DURING my Thanksgiving dinner.  That's how dedicated I am to giving you a visual.  You are welcome.
...for the WIN!

Seriously, these were good.  Like, GOOD.  So good, in fact, that I ate these rolls for the majority of my Thanksgiving meal.  And when they were gone, I was finding anything and everything to slather with cinnamon butter. 

T-day morning I got up to make my rolls.  And when I was finished (letting them rise the last time), I panicked, thinking there was no way I had made enough rolls!  So, I quickly decided to do something different and whip up a batch of pumpkin rolls and cinnamon butter.  (The pumpkin rolls don't require as much rising as my regular awesome rolls.) 

This, my blog reading friends, will be a new holiday tradition.  I think I'll make them for Christmas as well.  And perhaps New Years, and definitely Presidents Day. 

Even if you "don't like pumpkin" (so says my husband), you'll like these.  The pumpkin taste isn't strong at all!  (And, for the record, in case it has taken you years to notice, I have the most picky husband EVER.)

Pumpkin Rolls
  • 1/4 c. warm water
  • 1 1/4 T. yeast
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 c. hot milk
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 c. pumpkin puree
  • 2 1/2 T. oil
  • 5 c. flour
  1. In a small bowl (I use a liquid measuring cup) proof the yeast.  Add the yeast and 1 tsp. sugar to the warm water.  Stir with your finger to mix and dissolve.  Set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a large mixer with dough hook, combine milk, salt, sugar, pumpkin and oil.  Add yeast mixture and blend at a low speed.  Scraping down sides if necessary.  Gradually add flour; continue mixing until dough forms an elastic ball around the hook, leaving sides of bowl.  Cover bowl with towel and let rise until doubled. 
  3. Punch dough down and form into rolls of choice, place rolls on pan, cover with a towel and let rise (in a warm place) again, until doubled. 
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
*The rolls pictured are clover leaf rolls----roll 3 walnut sized balls, and place in a cupcake pan, sprayed with non-stick spray.  You can also roll into cresents, parker house rolls, or just regular rolls. 

Cinnamon Butter

  • 1 c. butter, softened to room temp.
  • 1/3 c. sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 T. corn syrup
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon (more or less to taste, I ended up adding more)
  1. In a mixing bowl, mix butter with electric mixer, until light and fluffy.  Add in milk, corn syrup, salt and cinnamon.  Mix until well combined and fluffy. 
  2. Transfer to a container (I used a small ceramic souffle bowl), refrigerate.  Remove from the fridge a bit before serving for a softer butter.
Spread this on pumpkin rolls, scones, regular rolls, toast, tofu, leather...

1 comment:

  1. that sounds yummy. did you use your from scratch pumpkin puree?

    ReplyDelete