Monday, December 6, 2010

Banana Nut Muffins.

We like muffins. A lot. In case you couldn't tell.  Awesome for breakfast, lunches, after school snacks, and freezing. 
The other day I had a ton of really, really ripe bananas.  I had planned on making a super awesome banana bar/banana cake with a great frosting.  But...I wasn't in the mood.  I didn't want to make banana bread either.  So, I hunted for a new banana muffin recipe, and found this one by Tyler Florence .  (Who is such a cutie, I could totally put him in my pocket!) 

They were fantastic!  I made a tiny change or 2, but they were great just as written!  (Go figure, I guess his career IS validated.  So glad I could give him that validation...) My midgets loved them, and ate them constantly for a few days.  I didn't even get the chance to freeze any!

Banana Nut Muffins
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 or 4 overripe bananas
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 c. butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • a few shakes of cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. chopped pecans (you can omit if you want, but I wouldn't.)
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line muffin tins, or spray tins with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside. 
  3. Mash 1/2 of the bananas with a fork on a plate, so they still have a bit of texture.  In a mixing bowl, (kitchen aid) using your wire whisk attachment, whip the remaining bananas and brown sugar together on high, as Tyler says "like you mean it", for about 3 minutes.
  4. Add the melted butter, eggs, vanilla and beat well, scraping down the sides if necessary. 
  5. Mix in the dry ingredients in small batches just until incorporated. 
  6. Fold in the nuts and the mashed bananas with a rubber spatula. 
  7. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins about 1/2 way full.
  8. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 to 20 minutes.  Let cool for a few minutes before turning the muffins out on a cooling rack.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment