Monday, January 24, 2011

The Best Cinnamon Rolls




Sorry kids---my mom owns this category too!

In all honesty, there is something about breads that my mom just KILLS it.  These are the sweet rolls that I grew to LOVE. (And I'm not really a bakery/confection person.)  In the past several years, I have tried many other recipes (including recipes that call for "pudding" in the dough), and they don't hold a candle to this recipe.  So, I decided: Why even try? 

I made these late Saturday night, for a special Sunday morning treat for the kiddos.  (I made them, let them rise, and then put them in the fridge and baked them in the morning.)

Cinnamon Rolls/Sweet Rolls
  • 2 c. scalded milk
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1 T. salt
  • 2 T. yeast
  • 1/4 c. warm water
  • 3 eggs
  • 4 c. + flour (more like 6+ for me)
Filling:
  • melted butter, cinnamon, brown sugar
  1. Add the 2 Tablespoons of yeast to the warm water; let rise.
  2. In a saucepan, scald the milk.  In the bowl of your mixer, add the butter, sugar and salt.  Pour the warm milk over the top.  Set aside and let cool to lukewarm.  (You don't want to use it when it is still hot, or you will kill your yeast.)
  3. Beat 3 eggs, and add to the cooled milk mixture.  Mix in the yeast.  Start adding the flour; addimg more if needed, keeping the dough soft.  (* My moms original recipe says 4 c.+ flour, but I always need at least 6, sometimes 6 1/2.)
  4. Knead well.  (I use my mixer, with my dough hook, because I am a cheat!)
  5. Cover the bowl, and let rise for 1 hour. 
  6. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about 1/2" thick. 
  7. Spread the top with melted butter, and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon to taste. 
  8. Roll the dough up (starting with the long side), into cinnamon roll shape.  Using your bench knife (one of the best inventions ever, if you don't have one, get one!), or dental floss, cut cinnamon rolls about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick.  Place on a greased baking sheet.  (I used a HUGE sheet pan that held about 20 cinnamon rolls.) 
  9. Cover with a towel and let rise for about an hour or until double.
  10. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
  11. Frost when they are just out of the oven, so the frosting will melt into the cracks.
(I know some people put cream cheese frosting on cinnamon rolls, but that's so not the right way to do it.  Do it like my mom does, it's better.)

***I use this same recipe for orange rolls.  Instead of spreading with cinnamon and brown sugar, spread with white sugar and orange zest.  In the frosting, replace the MILK with ORANGE JUICE.  Delicious!!
Basic Frosting Recipe
  • 1/4 c. softened butter
  • powdered sugar (2 c. plus)
  • splash of vanilla
  • milk
  1. Blend the butter and powdered sugar together, then add liquids, a little at a time, until you have reached the right consistency.  I make this thinner than a normal frosting, but not liquidy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment