Friday, January 14, 2011

Rosemary Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Sorry for the craptastic photo.  It's dark by dinner time, and dark + crappy indoor lighting = bad picture!

I debated about even posting this.  Do people need a recipe for these?  Mashed potatoes for me are kind of a "wing it" thing.

But...I figured I'd share my method anyway.  For those of you who are curious.

Also, very sorry about my month long absence.  It was the holidays after all.  Sadly, I had hoped to put up a bunch of awesome recipes, but I have just been so crazy busy.  And, I have 3 kids.  And 1 husband.  And a crapload of laundry.  And that's only part of it.

PLUS, I've been working hard on Zoe's new quilt.  It's going to be amazing.  I've also been reading a ton.  And baking.  So who has time for the 'net?

I made these the other night to serve with Camden's dinner.  [I let each of my kids pick a meal to add to the bi-weekly dinner.  It's fun to see what the pick each week.]  Camden's pick was "chicken on the bone" (aka: Balsamic Glazed Drumsticks) and garlic broccoli. 

I think my household might shrivel up and die if we had to live a life without garlic. 

Rosemary Garlic Mashed Potatoes
This amount serves about 4 people. 

  • 4-5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • water or chicken broth (you could also use chicken bouillon)
  • 4-5 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 T- 2 T. olive oil
  • fresh rosemary (you can also substitute dried rosemary, I have on many occasions)
  • milk
  • butter
  • sour cream
  • salt & pepper
  1. Boil the potatoes in the water/chicken broth until fork tender. (About 15 minutes.)
  2. Once the potatoes are done, drain the water, and pour the potatoes in a bowl and set aside.
  3. In the same pan you boiled the potatoes in, add the olive oil, minced garlic, and the rosemary.  Return to heat, and saute until you can smell the garlic.  Be careful NOT to burn the garlic!! 
  4. Add the potatoes back into the pan, and toss to coat all of the potatoes.
  5. Transfer the potatoes (and pour any remaining olive oil) into a bowl, and begin to mash with a potato masher.  (You can also use an electric mixer if you prefer.)
  6. Add in a few tablespoons of butter (you won't need much since you already added olive oil)---add more or less if you prefer. 
  7. Start with about 2 T. of milk and 2 T. of sour cream, mash in.  If you need more milk/sour cream add it in until you have reached your desired consistancy.  (I don't really use measurements here, I just eyeball it, as I am sure everyone does!)
  8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
*The sour cream is optional.  You can omit it and just use milk or cream. 

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE rosemary and garlic! Have you tried roasting garlic? It is so easy and adds a whole 'nother dimension to your potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frieda---yes, I LOVE roasting garlic as well!! This is my "lazy" way of making it. The garlic oil is so tasty, it doesn't taste quick!

    But, if I have time to roast garlic, or think about it early enough, I do it that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried these potatoes yet, but the Indian Butter Chicken was AMAZING. Dave was impressed!

    ReplyDelete