Monday, May 16, 2011

Best Burger Bun & Everyday Burger


Hello warm weather (well, we had 2 days of it...), and hello grill!!

You may remember me making my own homemade buns.  However, I no longer have a bread maker.  It was eating up space in my kitchen, and I only ever used it to process dough, and even then, I didn't use it often.  Plus, I really disliked the fact that my previous bun recipe uses shortening. 

It's a great recipe, so try it!  But, I'm a girl who likes options (for real, you should see my eyeshadow drawer). 

These buns are my new "go to" recipe!  I make them, freeze half and use half.  They are amazing!!!

Also included---a great basic burger recipe.  This is one you can throw together with things you have on hand.  I love to make crazy flavored burgers, but sometimes classic is a good thing!!


Burger Buns

*alternately, these could be hot dog buns, sandwich rolls, etc.

  • 1 c. warm water
  • 2 T. butter (slightly softened, the warm water will also help with this)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 c. unbleached flour (you can also use 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat)
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 T. instant yeast
  1. Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl, and mix.  Knead together, by hand or machine (using dough hook if you are using a mixer) until you've made a soft smooth dough.  (About 5 minutes by machine.) 
  2. Place dough in a large bowl that has been lightly sprayed with non-cook spray.  Cover with plastic wrap (also sprayed with non-stick spray), and let rise for 1 hour.
  3. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces (less if you are making slider buns).  I like to use my bench knife for this.  Shape each into a ball, and slightly flatten them.  Place the buns on a greased baking sheet.  Cover with a loose towel and let rise for about 40 minutes, until they are quite puffy.
  4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Bake the buns for 12-15 minutes (mine took about 15), until they're golden brown.  Remove them from the oven and cool on a wire rack. 
*I find that these buns are best toasted---I don't like to butter them (though some do), instead, I just split them, and place them face down on the top rack of my grill during the last few minutes of the burgers cooking.  Alternately, you could broil them in the oven.
Great Basic Burgers

  • 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
  • 3 T. steak sauce (A1, or the like)
  • 1 1/2 T. dijon mustard
  • 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 2 T. dehydrated onion
  1. Combine everything together in a large bowl.  Mix until it is combined, but don't over mix. 
  2. Form into patties---you can either do 4 burgers or 6, depending on how big you like them.  Form them with a small well in the middle---this will help the burgers to not shrink as much during cooking.
  3. Cook on  preheated grill for about 5* minutes a side.  (*This can vary widely based on how hot your grill is, and how you like your burgers cooked!)
  4. If desired, place cheese on burgers during the last minute of cooking.
  5. Serve on awesome homeade buns, and top as desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment