As you know, I love strawberries. Probably one of my all time favorite fruits---and that is saying a lot, since I could live off of fresh fruit!
I love to make strawberry sauce! It's so simple to make, and honestly can be used in literally hundreds of ways. Heat it up and serve it with pancakes or waffles, serve it over angel food cake, or with strawberry shortcake, mix it into yogurt, freeze it in ice cube trays and pop them into lemonade (hey, I just thought of that one!), add it to smoothies, the list goes on and on! Or, you can do as I did in this picture---make a strawberry lime rickey!
This isn't really a "recipe" as much as a method. I don't usually measure when I make this, but I can give you estimates. It doesn't need to be exact, it will still be great!
Also, this is a great use for those strawberries that aren't perfect---maybe even a tiny bit overripe. This recipe will also freeze well.
Stay tuned for a recipe featuring this strawberry sauce!!
- 1 small container of strawberries (you can easily double, etc.)
- 1/4 c. white sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste or vanilla bean (if you don't have either---use vanilla extract)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Wash and cut your strawberries. No need to be exact or precise---they'll be blended up anyway!
- Combine strawberries, sugar, vanilla (in whatever form) and lemon juice in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it simmers and berries start to break down. Between 5 & 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add contents to blender and completely puree.