Monday, May 23, 2011

Vanilla Bean Strawberry Ice Cream




It's that time of year---I can finally break out the ice cream maker!  (Well...hopefully soon.  I'll ignore the fact that as I am writing this, it feels more like November than May!) 

The other night we had an impromptu barbecue, and I decided to make ice cream for the first time this year.  It was a HIT. 

Of course, my fridge was busting at the seams with strawberries, so I knew I'd have to include those.  And vanilla bean paste, because really, why wouldn't I?  Of course, I had just made some strawberry sauce, so I figured it was a match made in heaven!!

And boy, was it.

Vanilla Bean Strawberry Ice Cream

  • 1 pint fresh strawberries, stemmend and chopped
  • 3 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 c. sugar, divided
  • 1 c. milk (you could use whole, but I used 1%)
  • 2 c. heavy cream
  • 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste (or vanilla bean, or vanilla extract)
  1. In a small bowl, combine the finely chopped strawberries with the lemon juice and 1/3 cup of the sugar.  Stir gently and allow the strawberries to macerate in the juice for about 2 hours.  (If you like bigger strawberries, you can leave them bigger, but they will freeze in big rock chunks that will be hard to eat, so I suggest chopping them pretty finely.)
  2. In a medium bowl, use a mixer or a whisk to combine the milk and the rest of the sugar (2/3 c.) until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes on low speed.  Stir in the heavy cream, vanilla, and the juices from the strawberries.
  3. Add to ice cream maker and freeze until thickened.  During the last 5 minutes, add strawberries. 
  4. Remove and store in a freezer-safe container and freeze until hard.
Serve topped with strawberry sauce.ALTERNATE DIRECTIONS:
Strawberry Revel
-Prepare as above, except when transferring the ice cream from the maker to a container, mix in streams of the strawberry sauce, to create a revel.  Don't mix!  Leave the streams of strawberry sauce flowing through the ice cream.  Freeze until hard.



2 comments:

  1. That looks delish. I love making homemade ice-cream. Have you tried the homemade pink berry? It's so good with strawberries

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Nat! I need your recipe so I can try it!!!

    ReplyDelete